Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A dark city (Brisbane, Australia) 3imgs
Posted By: James S, 04-11-2009, 05:45 AM

Hows it going all, Went into to Kangaroo point today for something to do, even though the weather was miserable all day, makes for interesting photos at night...

A storm rolled in from the north east around sunset, so that blew the idea of a cloudy orange sunset. all the images here are taken with Sig 17-70mm, even though I took the 10-20.

This one was around 5.30pm, Just before scheduled sunset at 5.32pm.

The next two were taken between 5.45pm and 6.30pm.

The orange tint in this one was from the ambient light in the overcast sky, kinda cool, I think.

Hope you enjoyed,

James
Views: 2,551
04-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They're all kinda cool. I do like the last one alot - looks like the city is on fire (God forbid).

Jer
04-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thee nice photos James and I won't pick a favourite.
04-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Really Beautiful...

04-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
James, nice photos, but I've never seen it that blue. Did you boost saturation in PP? Also in the 2nd & 3rd shots I think the versions you've uploaded have been compressed too much (a low Quality setting in the JPEG options). I can see blockiness in the dark, cloudy sky. Does it look like that in your web browser? (It could be a LCD monitor artefact too.)

I don't like all the mangroves on the bend of the Botanic Gardens, so I usually takes shoots 2/3 to 3/4 of the way along the top towards the city, so the yachts are on the left of the frame. The FLs I use there are either 28mm or 50mm (both Pentax-M primes). I've got a DA 16-45/F4 but I don't use it there often.

Have you to tried early morning or pre-dawn? When the weather conditions are right, it's nice to get smoother reflections of the buildings off the water. The trouble is that it is never that smooth up near the Story Bridge. I think you would have to wait for a windless day at the change of tide to get it right.

I've photographed there quite a few times now. PM me if you're interested in a get together for another go. I'm never satisfied - somethings always not right: clouds, wind (once I tried it when it was very windy and the force of the wind was strong enough to move the camera slightly on the tripod during the long exposures and blur all my photos), light, time of day. So I keep going back. Here are some of my previous attempts:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/49527-pre-dawn-cityscape.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/39621-brisbane-city-kang...nt-cliffs.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/29855-kangaroo-point-sunrise-over-city.html

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 04-11-2009 at 02:01 PM.
04-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, an oft visited spot by photogs.
Your shots are nice given the conditions.
Do try again when conditions are better... and try other places in town - there are some spectacular views not far off from there you might like also.
04-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

nice work, i also have a few from there!

i think pretty much every photographer in bris has visited the cliffs

04-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
James S

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
James, nice photos, but I've never seen it that blue. Did you boost saturation in PP? Also in the 2nd & 3rd shots I think the versions you've uploaded have been compressed too much (a low Quality setting in the JPEG options). I can see blockiness in the dark, cloudy sky. Does it look like that in your web browser? (It could be a LCD monitor artefact too.)

I don't like all the mangroves on the bend of the Botanic Gardens, so I usually takes shoots 2/3 to 3/4 of the way along the top towards the city, so the yachts are on the left of the frame. The FLs I use there are either 28mm or 50mm (both Pentax-M primes). I've got a DA 16-45/F4 but I don't use it there often.

Have you to tried early morning or pre-dawn? When the weather conditions are right, it's nice to get smoother reflections of the buildings off the water. The trouble is that it is never that smooth up near the Story Bridge. I think you would have to wait for a windless day at the change of tide to get it right.

I've photographed there quite a few times now. PM me if you're interested in a get together for another go. I'm never satisfied - somethings always not right: clouds, wind (once I tried it when it was very windy and the force of the wind was strong enough to move the camera slightly on the tripod during the long exposures and blur all my photos), light, time of day. So I keep going back. Here are some of my previous attempts:

Dan.

Hi Dan,

Nice photos.

I didn't adjust the colours PP it's just how it looked when I took the photo. I have one about ten minutes later which is alot blacker.

I went in on a whim and forgot there was a Lions game on at the Gabba so parking was at a premium, I couldn't be bothered driving around looking for a park down the other end of the cliffs so I just stayed there where I found a park.

I can't see the blockiness on my computer screen but on my brothers I can. Photobucket has a knack of doing it, so i've found, looking at other images i've uploaded there.

You're right, I'm never happy either. I don't often have time to go there much but i'm trying to get there more frequently. I certainly would be interested in meeting up there. Maybe a mini Brisbane and surrounds meet.

I will try uploading a slightly different file and see if anything changes.

James
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

One of the best nightscape I have seen. Good colour there.