Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Santaria, could be disturbing
Posted By: jgredline, 04-12-2009, 12:40 AM

I was not going to post these, but then they are photographs. On Friday I took the day off as I always do on Good Friday. I decided to pull Daniel out of school and go for a hike in the angeles national Forrest since we had not been on a good hike in while. I grabbed by ME SUPER and took off...I wish I had taken my digital with Long lens, but who knew...While Hiking a creek we came across some voodoo dolls hanging on the trees and as we looked up ahead, we found a group of people practicing true Santeria...They where doing animal sacrifice and putting the blood on these peoples head to ''cleanse'' them...It was creepy to me and horrible. All I could do is pray for these people. Anyway here are some images. Wrong lens and these are heavily cropped as they are quick scans. I will not post the slaughtering of the animals though. So ugly...They ended up scaring us away as they did not like their pictures taken....but I kept shooting.
Here we have the black witch and the white witch. Notice the snake..

Here is a little tighter look at the witch

The ritual begins

One of the voodoo dolls (or what ever it is)on the trees. This form of hard core Santaria is normally not seen.. Here we have two religions inter twined.

Here we are walking towards them.

Views: 3,149
04-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, what a disturbing thing to see on Resurrection Sunday. They don't look like happy people. So different from the joyous people I worshipped with this morning.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 04-12-2009 at 12:58 AM.
04-12-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My first reaction was ''leave it to Satan to Mimic on Resurrection weekend.''
04-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There sure are some scary, weird folks out there!

Good photojournalism there though, no matter what our individual beliefs or lack of them.

04-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
There sure are some scary, weird folks out there!

Good photojournalism there though, no matter what our individual beliefs or lack of them.
Thank you and I agree.
04-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

These images are truely disturbing. I am a little frightened by the activity taking place in these photographs
04-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Javier, this is in deed something totally different than my experience this morning when we celebrated Resurrection Morning!
04-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I'm a catholic and while I don't practice the same beliefs as these folks, as long as they aren't killing people I really am not bothered by it. Different religions practice their beliefs in different ways. The Bible even talks of animal sacrifice in earlier times. I don't know, I guess I'm just a little more accepting of other's beliefs and rituals. Anyway, Happy Easter everyone.

04-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow that must have been frightening - I don't understand what some people believe in or why they believe in it. Some are just truly disturbing.
04-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
emr

Interesting and fascinating, although I'm not quite sure how OK it was to photograph the ritual. I don't know what you beliefs are but I wonder how you'd react to someone passer-by photographing you worship. Just a thought.

For me personally the religions are more or less the same: Santeria, Christianity of any flavour, Islam, Buddhism, you name it. They're not my cup of tea, but as long as people aren't hurt physically or mentally and nasty things like animal torture doesn't happen, it's OK. Whatever works for a person.
04-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know a little about Santeria and there is much about the practice that is disturbing from a Christian perspective. The worship of elemental spirits and the desire to be possessed by such spirits are things the Bible warns against and forbids. If I had stumbled upon this group, I would have felt inadequate to have stayed, much less taken any pictures!

On the other hand, I have very mixed feelings about the matter. These people are addressing their gods in the manner that they feel is appropriate. They have made a choice about who and how they will worship. How can I judge them for their choice?

Steve

(BTW...The above photos truly give me the creeps...)
04-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
...Different religions practice their beliefs in different ways. The Bible even talks of animal sacrifice in earlier times...
A very good point. I can only imagine what any of us would think if we were transported to the courtyard of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem or the earlier wilderness tabernacle during Bible times. The daily temple ritual revolved around multiple animal sacrifices and the burning of the carcasses on open-air alters. With some study we might be able to understand what was happening there. Without study, with our modern sensitivities, the whole thing would have appeared senseless and barbaric!

Steve
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
These images are truely disturbing. I am a little frightened by the activity taking place in these photographs
I'll tell ya. it was creepy. I have seen and been witness to much worse, though. The hardest part was explaining all that was happening to my Son.
04-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Javier, this is in deed something totally different than my experience this morning when we celebrated Resurrection Morning!
Amen, I had a great time in Church this morning as well.
04-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
I'm a catholic and while I don't practice the same beliefs as these folks, as long as they aren't killing people I really am not bothered by it.
OK...I am a ''bible'' believing Christian and I am bothered by it..These peoples eternal souls are stake.

QuoteQuote:
Different religions practice their beliefs in different ways. The Bible even talks of animal sacrifice in earlier times. I don't know, I guess I'm just a little more accepting of other's beliefs and rituals. Anyway, Happy Easter everyone.
Yes, but in what Context where the animal sacrifices made? In OT times, the blood of animals could only cover sin, but not atone for sin. Only the blood of Lamb (Jesus) can atone for sin. With the RESURRECTION, the LAW no longer had dominion over those who where born again...

Thanks for the comments though.. While we are in disagreement, I respect your position.
« Sunset | Portrait »