Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
..more from Fiday's....(lots o' images)
Posted By: -=JoN=-, 04-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Central Park walk, as mentioned in this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/56918-stolen-model.html , i was out and about in NY's Central Park, very dull day, so I got a little creative when I processed these....hope y'all and enjoy..C & C always welcome.
(shot w/ a K20D body, either the DA* 50-135mm, or the DA Fisheye. All in DNG, processed in LR2)

..break time..last shot before battery went bye bye..

Views: 1,861
04-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jon,

I hope you don't take this the wrong way ( I think these shots are good) but since you are an NYC resident, show us a side of NY that those of us who don't live there aren't used to seeing! I think you may get more responses this way.

I've been there a couple of times and of course did the rounds of the usual tourists places like Times Square, Union Square, Statue of Liberty, WTC site, yankee stadium etc. but I think everyone has seen shots of these places like 5 bajillion times. Maybe some places that most people don't venture into like the lower east side, the bronx or east village, places that haven't been gentrified yet, etc...

peace.
04-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no worries, took it the at the worse way possible
yeah, i realized it is has been done..i wasnt planning on going there on Friday, but w/ the weather not being cooperative, i didnt want to be stuck somewhere i can get out of easily.

just wanted to share photos is all...the last 2 times i've been out, the weather's been spotty...
i myself found it mundane, but I did have fun processing it in different ways..(nice challenge to shoot in not so optimal conditions)...

anyway, thanks for the feedback...
04-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like these shots, but I also agree with sharko, to an extent. A lot has been seen before and shot over and over, but we still take have to take those shots because we as photographers always want to add our own touch to things....even those things that have been done over and over again. I think the DA Fisheye adds a perpective that isn't often seen. Even something that has been photographed ad nauseum is given new life with the FE.

One thing about New Yorkers in general is that we really tend to take the city for granted. I've spent pretty much my entire life in NYC (47 years), yet I didn't go to the top of the ESB or visit the Statue of Liberty until I was well into my 30's. Having a camera in hand really changes the way I tend to look at things.

I recently (last year) started a series called "Takin' It to the Streets, where I would pick an area somewhere in the city and shoot it. Some of the shots were done before, but quite a few of them were places I never thought to shoot. I think there are 4 or 5 segments from that series ( you can find them with a series) that show a different side of New York City....at least it's different than what's normally seen.

04-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #5

That seems to be pretty common from people who live in places with popular tourist attractions. I've met people from places like New York and New Orleans who rarely if ever ventured into places like times square and bourbon street to hang out...in fact some even hated it. I myself rarely go to hollywood blvd unless I have friends or family from out of town that wanna go there.

I definitely agree though that even if it has been done to death, there is always that personal touch each photographer can add to the image captured.
04-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was planning on just going to a non touristy area that day, w/ the weather and, partial lazyness, i just kinda hung around CP, and, as you mentioned, I never go there unless i;m showing it some visitor, or, some reason or another, shoot.
I had to walk through Times Square to get somewhere, firgure, keep the Cam out, just in case, after I got to 40th street, I just lost all creative thought, and packed it all in.

The stuff I shot that day tho, i've never really been to (at least I dont remember)..

My next trip out, will be somewhere different...