Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Canyon Movement Dance
Posted By: ThorThum, 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM

I recently was asked to take photos of the dance company Canyon Movement Company to document their latest creations. This was a dress rehearsal and I was able to shoot from on stage. It was the toughest assignment I have had so far, and I pushed the camera to it's limits. The low light and fast action was a bit much for 3fps and the buffer. The pics are a bit soft, despite using the 50mm 1.4 and ISO 1600, because the AF wouldn't react in time, plus being hand held. Excuses aside, in the future, I think I can increase my batting average with the lessons learned. What do you think?

Views: 1,717
04-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you did very well. I have taken a few stage shots and know how difficult it can be.
04-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Some are a little soft, but overall I really like the work. Try for a little blur and thus convey some movement. The results may surprise you.

JMR
04-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the positive reinforcement! My girlfriend is in the dance troupe, so I'll have more opportunities to gain experience. I think I just have to learn how to dial the equipment in better. I tried using a tripod but wasn't able to react fast enough with it. I picked up a monopod from the local Ritz that is going out of business and will try working with that next time.

04-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think given the circumstances that you did well. Can you ask them to turn on a few more stage lights? Not for the performance but just for the dress rehearsal, it is as much in their interst to get good photos as it is in yours.