Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My better half was not impressed......
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM

......when she found this little critter in our livingroom. So I went to put it outside but of course not before a few quick pictures.

Millipede (about 25-28mm long)

K20D with DFA 2.8 100mm macro

Comments are always welcome and appreciated
Views: 3,547
04-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. It's always neat to take a close look at things I'd usually avoid. Still makes my skin crawl though. :P
04-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess your wife wouldn't want to hear about a former colleague's experience with millipedes ... how he woke up one Saturday morning to find several thousand had taken a keen interest in the side of his house.

Nice captures though. Did you already have the macro setup ready or are you just that dang fast (and good)?
04-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
jeffkpotter

I think it's cute. I have to commend it's designer. Nice closeups!

04-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrEspie Quote
Very nice. It's always neat to take a close look at things I'd usually avoid. Still makes my skin crawl though. :P
Thanks for the look and the comments, it's appreciated. We will be in Bobcaygeon visiting with friends for a couple of days in the first week of June.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I guess your wife wouldn't want to hear about a former colleague's experience with millipedes ... how he woke up one Saturday morning to find several thousand had taken a keen interest in the side of his house.

Nice captures though. Did you already have the macro setup ready or are you just that dang fast (and good)?
You are right, she would not be impressed at all. No, I did not have the macro lens on the camera or the flash but there was no hurry. I picked it of the floor with a paper towel (carefully) and kept the towel folded over it until I was ready. They curel up into a tight circle when threatend and that was my first picture, unfortunately it was totally underexposed and not usable. Once mobile they are fast and keeping focus is not easy but I did get a few keepers before I chucked it outside.

Take care,
04-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots, Heinrich, of an interresting creature! As far as I know, we have only greyish ones, and our centipedes usually have the colour of your specimen.
04-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

I think I wouldn't be impressed myself
but nice shots Heinrich

BR

04-16-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
As far as I know, we have only greyish ones, and our centipedes usually have the colour of your specimen.
Yeah same as in Australia. Nice closeups, but as MrEspie said, 'makes my skin crawl'.

I remember waking up one morning when i was travelling in Laos a few of years ago and found one of these little criters, (or a variant), had nestled itself in a nice warm position... had my knees bent and it was in the crack. What an extremely horrible feeling at 7am as it moved. It was quite traumatic at the time. Needless to say i have a thing for creepy crawlies hehe.
04-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey,

Great detail on that bug, look at all those legs.

Cheers
04-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice capture Heinrich - I have found a few small spiders in the house but nothing like that.
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great shots, Heinrich, of an interresting creature! As far as I know, we have only greyish ones, and our centipedes usually have the colour of your specimen.
Hi Rense and thank you. The centipedes that I see around here are lighter than this, sort of a yellow-orange color.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I think I wouldn't be impressed myself
but nice shots Heinrich

BR
Thank you Peter, creepy and crawley things don't bother me. Now if you want to talk about snakes...that becomes another issue

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Yeah same as in Australia. Nice closeups, but as MrEspie said, 'makes my skin crawl'.

I remember waking up one morning when i was travelling in Laos a few of years ago and found one of these little criters, (or a variant), had nestled itself in a nice warm position... had my knees bent and it was in the crack. What an extremely horrible feeling at 7am as it moved. It was quite traumatic at the time. Needless to say i have a thing for creepy crawlies hehe.
Thanks for commenting, I would not have liked that either.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by barbosas Quote
Hey,

Great detail on that bug, look at all those legs.

Cheers
Thanks for looking and commenting, it is appreciated.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice capture Heinrich - I have found a few small spiders in the house but nothing like that.
Hi Dave and thank you. We usually find one or two dead ones during the winter this was the first live one. Had no spiders at all this winter, last year we found a wolf spider. (made a good picture)

Take care,
04-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
I think it's cute. I have to commend it's designer. Nice closeups!
Thank you Jeff and yes nature had an amazing designer, the more macros I take of the real small stuff the more amazed I am.

Take care,
04-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #13

It's been since childhood the last time I've seen this creature. I think they are common in tropical countries, I might be wrong. Great shots by the way.
04-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Thank you Peter, creepy and crawley things don't bother me. Now if you want to talk about snakes...that becomes another issue
Me, I'm the exact opposite. Gimme a snake any day. You can see them coming (well most of them anyway) but spiders and centipedes...Sneaky and stealthy little b*stards. Also, every single spider and centipede is venomous to some extent, not so with snakes.

Nice photos though...

Mike
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great job, Heinrich - although I'll admit the creature gives me the "willies". One of the reasons that although my new DA 35 has macro, I'll stick with my DFA 100 for this sort of thing so I can do it from a distance. I haven't shot many bugs, although the good Lord knows there are plenty of 'em in SE Texas.

Jer