Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1st try at Equestrian photography
Posted By: MRRiley, 04-19-2009, 05:18 PM

To make a long story short. I was supposed to be shooting a mountain bike race today but got the date wrong. Decided to take the opportunity to shoot a hunt club race since it was close by. The main limiting factor is the limited shooting opportunities (the horses only go around 1, 2 or 3 times). Also the 25 minute wait between races is extremely boring... Regardless I paid my money and took my chances...

I got the following shot. its OK but I clearly have a lot to learn about shooting this type of sport.

this is about a 75% crop and resize for the web.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-20-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: making a too long story much shorter
Views: 3,470
04-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work Mike.

The long break between the races gives you time to finish off the bottle of champagne and place a bet....it is the sport of Kings afterall

The only advice I would give is be very careful where you set up as you would not want to spook a horse and cause a fall.....could have disastrous results for everyone.

Cheers
Grant
04-20-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ohhh I know that point Grant. I selected jumps that were close enough to the fence that I was still able to get fairly close while staying outside of the rail.

And I was drinking ice tea between races... no champagne for this guy.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike
04-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Little too close for me Mike. Nicely done for a crappy looking day! Cheers JIM

04-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jimbo.... Oh and I was at least 20 feet away from the beasties... You ain't close until they blow your hair around as they pass... LOL

Mike
04-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a shot that I did a little "faux ortonizing on...

I know it'd have been better if the rider and horse had been facing the other way but for some reason they did not want to cooperate. LOL

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-20-2009 at 05:38 PM.
04-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is good Mike, very good.....has something about it.

Have you experimented printing it?.....think it would look great on canvas.

04-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shot Mike. With which lens did you shoot that--it looks good at f4.5. Is that the 16-45 Pentax?
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Damn Brit

That first shot looks pretty pro to me Mike (or as near as damn it).
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote

I know it'd have been better if the rider and horse had been facing the other way but for some reason they did not want to cooperate. LOL

You could have run about fifty yards to the left, what are you a Canon shooter?
04-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Nice Mike. And I like what you did with the second one. It looks like a painting. It doesn't bother me the direction the horse is facing. The man seems to be looking in a different direction. Or at least you can't tell due to the treatment. Nice.
04-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #12
JMR
Veteran Member

Excellent timing. But does look a little underexposed on my screen. Perhaps it s a function of the overcast light. ON the second image, the red jacket certainly pops, is that what you want? Red is very powerful on its own, maybe dial down the effect and the image will be very striking without the red jumping out of its suit.

JMR
04-21-2009, 05:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well that is a nice shot - looks like your misdirection has opened up new oppertunitites. I also like the second one - I agree it would look good on a canvas.
04-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Nice shot Mike. With which lens did you shoot that--it looks good at f4.5. Is that the 16-45 Pentax?
Thanks! Yep, the jumping shot was the Pentax DA 16-45mm at 45mm. The rider under the tree was with the Bigma.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That first shot looks pretty pro to me Mike (or as near as damn it).
Thanks Gary. I don't think its "pro" but I'll certainly take the compliment. I've put a couple of these events on my shooting calendar so hopefully will have some more to show before summer ends.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You could have run about fifty yards to the left, what are you a Canon shooter?
LOL... I spent the day before this tearing out 120 sq ft of sod and planting a new flower garden in the back yard. I was in no condition to run. Maybe I should buy an all-terrain Segway. Also, your 50 yds would have put me on the track and then i think I would have gotten a much closer look at both horse and rider as they chased me away.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Nice Mike. And I like what you did with the second one. It looks like a painting. It doesn't bother me the direction the horse is facing. The man seems to be looking in a different direction. Or at least you can't tell due to the treatment. Nice.
Thanks Mel. He IS looking directly at me so it does compensate for the horse facing out of frame. Its just one of those niggling little things that you wish had lined up better.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Excellent timing. But does look a little underexposed on my screen. Perhaps it s a function of the overcast light. ON the second image, the red jacket certainly pops, is that what you want? Red is very powerful on its own, maybe dial down the effect and the image will be very striking without the red jumping out of its suit.

JMR
Thanks JMR. I agree it looks a tad underexposed but I balanced for the white on the blanket with the number on it. Any brighter and it blew out and looked like crap. The overcast really beat the contrast down too. For the second image, I did want the red to jump off of the screen, but looking at it on my screen here at work it is a bit too intiense. I may selectively tone down the red just a bit. Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Spot on moment in the first photo. I really like the vivid colours in the "orthonized" image!