Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Springtime Flower Photos
Posted By: Adam, 04-14-2007, 10:37 PM

All the cacti in our botanical garden start to bloom around this time of year, so I went down for a quick shoot today and came out with this:

SMC Pentax FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF]

SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro

C&C is welcome, especially on the first photo. Check out the rest of the shots in this gallery: Motec Photo Gallery
Views: 2,374
04-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cactus flowers? Never saw so many! Thanks for sharing these, Mo!
04-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

wow.... can I move in with ya for a month to shoot up where it's warm? lol
04-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I remember the cactus shots you posted last year when the site first opened up Mo, they were spectacular just as these are. Can't wait to see more of them.

04-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The last one is my favorite.
04-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HogRider Quote
The last one is my favorite.
Thanks, but I'm speechless after seeing your gallery...

Here are a few more from today (not from the Botanical Garden):

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Adam, all very nice. The first shot in the first series really showcases the excellent characteristics of the FA 85. But I really like the 2nd batch the best--great colors and compositions. Thanks for sharing.

04-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mo great shots as usual. You asked for C&C on the first one. I think I would have stopped down the lens a bit to get a much greater DOF, just my opinion but I think the exposure would be more effective if they all were in focus, a vertible forest of cactus blooms. Alternately I would have focused on the front flowers and let the DoF give greater depth to the shot. I think mid focus is fine if you are trying to single out one or several blooms, but none of those that are in sharp focus seem exceptional in any way.
The second and fourth shots on the other hand are exceptional IMHO. Especially the colors on the fourth one, beautiful!

NaCl(just my $.05 and worth all of that)H2O
04-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Mo great shots as usual. You asked for C&C on the first one. I think I would have stopped down the lens a bit to get a much greater DOF, just my opinion but I think the exposure would be more effective if they all were in focus, a vertible forest of cactus blooms. Alternately I would have focused on the front flowers and let the DoF give greater depth to the shot. I think mid focus is fine if you are trying to single out one or several blooms, but none of those that are in sharp focus seem exceptional in any way.
The second and fourth shots on the other hand are exceptional IMHO. Especially the colors on the fourth one, beautiful!

NaCl(just my $.05 and worth all of that)H2O
Thanks for the critique! I wasn't even planning on including the first shot in the gallery, but somehow it stood out...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like the 3rd one best - those blooms look like something out of a saturday night sci-fi movie, or "little shop of horrors"

sorry - imagination at work... "feed me seymour!"

awesome.

Last edited by khardur; 04-15-2007 at 05:59 PM. Reason: horrible grammar
04-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam,

Nice display of color. Are you just trying to annoy all us up here in the frigid and blah NE?

I really like the images but I truly like the second image in your second sequence. The tones are superb and subtle. Nice spot,

Stephen
04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

They're all stunning

I think that I gotta get up early the next nice day here and photograph the only cactus that grow in this area. Although they're no where near as nice.
04-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great range of colors, sharp and beautiful!

Regards,
D
04-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Both sets have real winners in them Adam! They all are beautifully colored and set up! Great shooting!
04-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #15

i noticed 85 f1.4??!?!? We coming to your place and steal it! :-D