Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vancouver Waterfront Panorama Attempt w/DA 21mm
Posted By: legacyb4, 04-21-2009, 11:45 PM

Far from perfect, but thought I'd try firing off a few today at lunch. It's harder than I thought getting exposure and color balance perfect across all the photos and there are some anomalies here and there.

Still, for someone who hasn't seen Vancouver before, it's really quite a sight.

Taken from the deck of the new Vancouver Exhibition Centre (click for auto-resizing lightbox version):

Views: 1,304
04-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Good effort there, it's a great view, I don't see anything that can't be fixed. The stitching is good so there is just the FE effects on the buildings at the sides and some exposure issues at the joins.
How many exposures was that?
04-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree the stiching looks good exposure looks consistent and what a view, nicely done.
04-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I originally took about 15 shots but Canon's Photostitch (handy tool to have!) kept having trouble interpolating the shots that were overlapped too much so I culled it back to about 8 shots in total.

Manually metered off the middle shot then shot progressively through a 180 view; still ended up needing to tweak the 3/4s shots to get the blue skies to match up. Also was pivoting on my left elbow on the fence railing to try and keep the up and down shifts to a minimum.

Lot of work to try and do these and I have a great appreciation for the really nicely done ones!

04-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Were you using a polarizer? I ask because that is a mistake I come up with getting similar shots as you (i.e. the exposure differences near the boundaries). I generally don't mind as they come out way better than my old fashioned panoramas... taping prints together.

Panoramas do get tricky when shooting a wide angle (i.e. more than 180 deg).

As for your photo. I love the shot. I've been everywhere around that area but Vancouver itself. Not sure why I haven't been, but I'll have to go there some day. All the photos are so beautiful.
04-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, no polarizer in use. I think the problem is that the DA 21mm vignettes on the edges ever so slightly or just has a slight color shift around the edges because of the wide angle and super blue Vancouver skies.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Were you using a polarizer? I ask because that is a mistake I come up with getting similar shots as you (i.e. the exposure differences near the boundaries). I generally don't mind as they come out way better than my old fashioned panoramas... taping prints together.

Panoramas do get tricky when shooting a wide angle (i.e. more than 180 deg).

As for your photo. I love the shot. I've been everywhere around that area but Vancouver itself. Not sure why I haven't been, but I'll have to go there some day. All the photos are so beautiful.
04-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I MISS VANCOUVER.

I remember taking a picture of the building you were standing on to test my crappy ND grad filter... Looks like the weather is glorious there right now =) The color shifts here aren't too obvious imo.

04-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #8

Don't know what program you used to do the pano in but just for kicks, download a copy of Autostitch and try to assemble your pano in it. I've had a few panos that didn't turn out as well from Photoshop Elements that looked better from Autostitch. It just seems to do a great job of blending the individual photos together.

Anyways, its a free program so you don't have anything to loose.