Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Walk on the Road to Nowhere...(many photos)
Posted By: heliphoto, 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM

I found this amazing road yesterday... 10 miles (sorry - it's miles in this country ) of dirt, with a closed (but unlocked) gate at each end, and after the first 1/2 mile, the only thing man made in sight are the barbed wire fences along either side - it was like a step back in time 100 years. Here's some photos from the trip

First my son and I went on a walk...

He helped with his stroller when he wasn't riding in it...

We saw a lot of birds, here's a Horned Lark...

and another...

a western meadowlark sitting on a bar graph...

a small wetland...

the road again...

Views: 3,240
04-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series, looks like lots of fun, It is a good thing it was so isolated someone may have charged you with child abuse, pushing such a heavy load. Ha Ha.
04-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots heliphoto! It looks like a wonderfull land....
04-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Interesting series indeed! Lots of peaceful landscapes (neatly captured) in the area it seems. The question goes - Where in the world is that place?

04-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iced Quote
Great series, looks like lots of fun, It is a good thing it was so isolated someone may have charged you with child abuse, pushing such a heavy load. Ha Ha.
Indeed, but he cries if I don't let him help . The danger is without him in the stroller, the CG is pretty far aft, and if he pushes too fast without me holding the handle, the big lens tries to fall on him , so my hand was at the ready to catch the handle as I took that shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great shots heliphoto! It looks like a wonderfull land....
Thank you Rense - it is a great place, but hot - we seem to be having a little preview of summer right now, and it was about 35°C (95°F) when we were walking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Interesting series indeed! Lots of peaceful landscapes (neatly captured) in the area it seems. The question goes - Where in the world is that place?
Thanks Maffer, it is in central California, the snowy peaks in the background of #2 are in Yosemite National Park, and that's as specific as I'd like to be
04-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing that Josh. No doubt you had a great day of fresh air, sunshine and the "sounds of silence"....which assumes there was no freeway booming away in the distance.

I love that sound of silence, its actually quite noisy if you stop and listen.

As for the location, I have worked it out....you are somewhere in California.

Cheers
Grant
04-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Grant - no freeway, nothing to be heard 'cept the birds and the cattle . Somewhere in Cali... I've already said too much .

04-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Thanks Grant - no freeway, nothing to be heard 'cept the birds and the cattle . Somewhere in Cali... I've already said too much .
You don't have to get very far from the freeway to lose the sound, though... This shot from Colorado a couple of weeks ago is taken less than 1/2 mile from the Interstate. It just happens to be over the hill and invisible from there...

Jim

04-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
You don't have to get very far from the freeway to lose the sound, though... This shot from Colorado a couple of weeks ago is taken less than 1/2 mile from the Interstate. It just happens to be over the hill and invisible from there...

Jim
Jim, that's an awesome pano! (everybody - look here to see it big). As you probably gathered I'm a big fan of wide open, untraveled country roads, and it looks like you found a great one there (too bad there's one of those blight-on-the-landscape-destroyer-of-our-culture Interstates nearby ). BTW, isn't Nebraska ever going to annex those portions of Colorado which are rightfully theirs?
04-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

nice shots Josh - wow 35 degrees is getting into my unfomfortable zone - looks like and awsome place and how long did you let you son push the stoller with the lens and tripod attached
04-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

#2 is a cracker! Lovely discovery you got there.
04-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Jim, that's an awesome pano! (everybody - look here to see it big). As you probably gathered I'm a big fan of wide open, untraveled country roads, and it looks like you found a great one there (too bad there's one of those blight-on-the-landscape-destroyer-of-our-culture Interstates nearby ). BTW, isn't Nebraska ever going to annex those portions of Colorado which are rightfully theirs?
Thanks, Josh. That pano turned out pretty well, I thought Interstates do have their bad points, but it makes it easier to make my twice-annually drive out from Omaha to Denver for work... Much nicer to drive and have my own car for the week vs suffering thru air travel and rental cars And I get to haul more phot gear along!

Not sure if the Nebraskoids really want this part of Colorado... Now, they might like to lay claim to the areas where the water actually accumulates, but this part it just flows on thru...

Jim (nope, not a native of NE... I just live here now)
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ha! Ha! Based on these and a few other of your photos, I think I know the general vicinity of where you live...but I won't tell!

Steve
04-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The first and second ones are great. Looks like a great place to walk.
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The actual road images are really beautiful, must have been a great day!