Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wrong colour on butterfly
Posted By: tcom, 04-15-2007, 07:51 AM

Hello

I took this butterfly this morning. It appeared to me as being nearly as yellow as the flower. Now on the photo, it appears rather green.

How does it come that the flower has the right color, but not the butterfly? Could it be linked to the coating?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,892
04-15-2007, 07:55 AM   #2

I don't know the answer but

I have had a similar issue. A number of times, usually when I use flash together with other lighting, I get all colors accurate EXCEPT dark blues that come out purple. I have yet to understand why it happens and just fix it in PS with a selective color mask.
04-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It doesn't look (to me) like a flash was used there, and in my opinion it's just that some objects absorb more light than others making them appear different on the camera.

It's still a nice macro, so I wouldn't worry about it.
04-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did not use a flash.

As I left the macro lens at home, I had to do with the lenses I was carrying, I used the Tokina 80-400 ATX-II at 400mm and it worked pretty well.

I am not too much worried about the colors, I am just wondering where it comes from. It is probably just like some blue flowers which might turn violet in digital cameras (or back in film days).

04-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice photo. I haven't bumped into a similar situation yet, so I can't offer too much help - sorry.
04-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #6

Well, I just put my hand over the yellow flower to cover it, and the butterfly appears yellow I think that's just the way human brain works, thats my scientific explaination and I'm sticking to it
04-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #7

Either way, it's a lovely photo and green is comely on that dainty little butterfly.

04-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Dom, I'm thinking that the butterfly picked a bit of reflection off the flower, that may have fooled the eye but not the camera. Have you ever noticed any other chromatic aberrations with this lens?

NaCl(the human mind can play tricks)H2O
04-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Dom, I'm thinking that the butterfly picked a bit of reflection off the flower, that may have fooled the eye but not the camera. Have you ever noticed any other chromatic aberrations with this lens?

NaCl(the human mind can play tricks)H2O
No, I never encountered a similar problem with this lens before.
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all your replies. I guess we will never know.
04-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Butterfly wings exhibit structural colour, the relative surface height of the wing structure peaks and valleys reflect or absorb proportionally different light wavelengths. Under different light conditions (polarized, collimated, filtered) the same butterfly will exhibit different colour patterns, sometimes no colour at all.

As well, all colour vision perception is based on context the colour is in.

It could be that the slight variation in the photo is due to a slight variation in the incident light when you saw her to when you composed the photo through the viewfinder. And indeed, the bright yellow flower may slightly affect how you perceive the butterfly's colour.
04-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with Donald. Many times, especially in bright natural light, the human eye will "make" joining items similar in color. The camera and lens will not. They'll only capture exactly what they see.

We have similar butterflies down here and they look exactly like what you've shot.

As to the shot itself, great shot! Very crisp and detailed!!!