Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
just a "few" spiders...
Posted By: GLThorne, 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM

Nothing really great about these, but I thought they were cool just hangin' around at the back of our house. Thought they should be seen.

For reference, all that you see is in the height of 1 standard brick (I was lying on my side to take these). These things are supper small.

Anybody know what kind of babies these are? Think these are the one's, adults, that dirt-dobbers put in their nest??

As always, hope you enjoy and comments are always welcome.....

Views: 1,324
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

ummm... yeah... I'm scared to come over now lol. I love the first one, real cool shot. What lens did you use for the second shot to get that crazy dof? I'ts pretty spiffy if you ask me.
04-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greg, at least we know you don't suffer from arachnophobia! Great shots, and no, I have no idea what kind they are. Hopefully they will keep the mosquitos and other less pleasant of our multilegged friends under control. Love the second shot! Did you take one focused on the bag too? I look like a bunch are crawling around in mid air, neat effect.

NaCl(spiders can be your friends)H2O
04-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys.

Codiac - you can visit any time you want. Just let me know and I'll put up, the, uhhh, pets!! As for the lens, I used the kit lens with the Porter's close up set that I've used in many past posts. That DOF is in part due to their mother....it's part of the web. It has so much pollen in it, it turned out pretty cool now that I've looked at it again. Really glad you liked them.

Salty - Glad you enjoyed them as well. Nope, spiders don't bother me. We had a black widow that took up home in our hose reel at the back of the house so the wife stopped useing it. I took some shots of her with my P/S but can't locate them. We always have them at our barn and last year we actually had a web that had the female AND the male still alive on it!! Now that I've got a REALLY GREAT camera, I'll hopefully get some "widow" shots this year to share.

Thanks again guys!!! Glad you liked them. The wind was blowing today, so these were two of the better shots I got. I took a large box and broke it open to block the wind - didn't work!!!

04-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #5

Is it just me or do they look edible to you too? Bakeapple with legs, mmm...
04-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #6

I can't name them either, but every year there's a couple weeks when the kids can't (well, won't anyways) use the slide and swing set in the back yard because there are a couple thousand of these critters on it...

A warm, breezy day, and they'll all climb to the highest spot they can, let out a long line of silk, and the wind blows them away to... well, I don't know where...

I'll have to try to get some shots this year - though it'd take some luck to be anywhere near this good...
04-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like the second picture.

Where I live is considered as Black Widow Haven, and I laugh when people study any little branch or anything before they'll touch it.
You can often find me in crawl spaces and deep dark dusty closets, where they usually like to hang out without any worry at all.
However I'm the opposite with snakes

04-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just catching up...or trying to. Whoa those are a ton of spiders - Crazy!
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Baked apples, huh???

Thanks for the comments Classvino. As I said, the wind was blowing somewhere around 30+ miles an hour and it was about 44 out so I consider these very lucky as well!!!

I'm with you lille laker. Snakes are not my thing. A few years back, I was working on changing out our holding tank for our well. I was also on the phone with my father discussing our upcoming motorcylce ride, not paying attention, when I removed the bottom cover and there was a rattle snake coiled around the base of the tank. Lucky for me! It struck out but only had a few inchs to travel. Needless to say, dad heard a few things come out of my mouth he hadn't heard before!!!

Maybe I'll try some snakes this year! MAYBE!!!

Yeah Alvin, it was a bunch, considering this was 2 different pods’. They were at the same location, so I think the wind might have separated them???

Thanks again all. I'm glad you've enjoyed these.