Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Critique my slide show please.
Posted By: jbrowning, 04-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Hello, I just added a slideshow to my website and was wondering if some of you would mind looking at it and telling me how it looks and how it looks on your monitors.

Rocky Mtn Photos Backyard Birds

Thank you
Jim
Views: 3,677
04-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Looks good photowise Jim but I think it would look better with a black background, the colour you have chosen looks a little bland especially as it is close in colour to a lot of the backgrounds in the pictures.

BTW, I'm happy to leave it in General Talk but I don't see a reason why it couldn't go in Post Your Photos if you want, it might get a wider audience. PM me if you want me to move it.
04-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Gary, do you mean the page would be better if it had a black background?

thanks
Jim
04-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks Gary, do you mean the page would be better if it had a black background?

thanks
Jim

Yes, sorry I didn't make it clearer.

04-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm with Gary on that suggestion... of course, if you look at my site, my bias towards black themed presentation shows up a tad...

Regards,
Marc
04-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The colour is excellent, your calibration is good. For myself, the pictures are on the small side, but I am running a big screen.
For myself, I'd lose the transitions from one image to the other. They take about 2 seconds to complete, and that is two seconds where your viewer might just get irritated and go away.
I lasted about 6 pictures and gave up.
Lose the flash, it isn't really helping, unless you are using it as copy protection.
04-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gary and Marc, Marc your site got me to wanting to put the slideshow on my website. Thanks for the idea.

Jim

04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The colour is excellent, your calibration is good. For myself, the pictures are on the small side, but I am running a big screen.
For myself, I'd lose the transitions from one image to the other. They take about 2 seconds to complete, and that is two seconds where your viewer might just get irritated and go away.
I lasted about 6 pictures and gave up.
Lose the flash, it isn't really helping, unless you are using it as copy protection.

Hi Wheatfield, I'm totally new to slideshows. This type of slideshow uses the flash plugin. I'm not sure if I can get rid of it. I'm trying to find out how I can make the photos flip quicker.

Thanks
Jim
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What he said.
Those animated transitions are way too slow and way too distracting. Your viewers will get caught up in watching the animation rather than the photos, get bored and leave.
Find out if that slide show can do basic fades from one photo to the next and if you can time it to no more than 1.5 seconds. A 3/4 or 1 sec fade in/out transition is plenty long. If it doesn't there are a plethora of free or inexpensive flash slide show programs available that can be tweaked and won't force a frame to themselves in the show.
04-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here's a few options for building your own slide show...

Jalbum
SimpleViewer
SlideShowPro ($40)
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Cool photos but a few things:

I would rename the photos to something other than IGP3796website with something more descriptive.
Also, personally, I would trim it down some because I wouldn't want to have more than one of the same type of photo with small changes in it, i.e. the black raven (or whatever bird that is) and the bird feeder ones.
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
Cool photos but a few things:

I would rename the photos to something other than IGP3796website with something more descriptive.
Also, personally, I would trim it down some because I wouldn't want to have more than one of the same type of photo with small changes in it, i.e. the black raven (or whatever bird that is) and the bird feeder ones.
^ - what he said...

Regarding the flash issue, the problem with flash (or rather large flash files) is many people will never see your photos at all, they'll close the window or hit the back button before your site finishes loading. I have a relatively fast connection (faster than DSL, but not up to fast cable) and your site took over five seconds to load - that's basically forever in website time ...
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #13

Jim,
Great comments above and I agree with them. I work with video along with stills and one thing you might want to look at is your transitions. Traditionally in video/slide shows you pick one style of transistion and stick with it. Also the trasitions themselves can set a mood so consider that when you are picking what you like visually. On most slide shows I have worked on I tend to leave the images up anywhere from 2-5sec depending on style of transition, mood, speed of music(if any), and any text visable. If you are changing the image names to something that may interest your viewers, give them enought time to read it and look at your images.