Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro: Leaf Bud, PPG worthy?
Posted By: jamonation, 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM

Some I'm undecided about this one, I'm not sure about the dof on it, and I sort of regret using f3.5 instead of 2.8 since the background isn't as distinct as I'd like. But I think it might make it into PPG, what do people think, should I reshoot or just submit?

Views: 1,402
04-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
JMR
Veteran Member

PPG has so many good macros, that people get jaded when voting if the image is not outstanding. It is sharp where it needs to be and macros are almost always a trade off. Your image looks pretty good to me., so you might as well enter it.

JMR
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
racinsince55

I probably wouldn't vote it into the Gallery. It is, however, a very good photo but there are hundreds in submission to the gallery that are as good or better that won't pass muster.
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, that's my feeling as well. Just nothing outstanding or unique looking about it. Good thing there are millions of the things around right now

04-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
I probably wouldn't vote it into the Gallery. It is, however, a very good photo but there are hundreds in submission to the gallery that are as good or better that won't pass muster.
+1
Nice photo, really, but just doesn't give me the wow factor or anything.
Just a suggestion but maybe the bokeh is just too plain?
04-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I basically agree with the other comments... It's a well executed photo which is hard enough with macro, but there's nothing "happening", no dynamic which compels the view to keep staring. How to do that? Well I dunno or I'd shutup and go do it myself ... Maybe try to find an angle that makes the branch make a sweeping arc as it fades into the background (conforming to the golden rectangle while you're at it ). Something that makes people say, "That's amazing!" Shooting down the branch so that each bud farther along the branch is progressively more OOF, may add some interesting depth.
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One can always try, and this is definitely a good candidate. Simple and beautiful, I might consider cropping a little from the right, now it does not feel quite in balance, but I leave it to you, of course!