Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Another face...
Posted By: paulyrichard, 04-29-2009, 01:12 PM

...from the street.

Last edited by paulyrichard; 04-30-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Views: 2,101
04-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's so much life in these portaits. And humanity... One can't not be touched by them.
04-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Stefan.
04-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is one tired looking man. Great capture

04-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love your work Paul - such emotion.
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Nubi

A very nice shot! I think you got something here.

I have a few questions for you;

1) Did u crop this picture? If you did, I think that is the strongest trait of this shot. Very subtle.

2) Looks as though you avoided focusing in on the eyes. Am I wrong? I also liked that. Wrinkles on the forehead to me tells more of a story.

3) Considering the somber mood, did you think about toning down on the brightness and up the contrast a tiny bit to accentuate the wrinkles?

4) Did you ask for a permission to take the pic? It is always an awkward moment for me. Is it for you? How do you approach it, especially when the mood is not the brightest?
04-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
A very nice shot! I think you got something here.

I have a few questions for you;

1) Did u crop this picture? If you did, I think that is the strongest trait of this shot. Very subtle.

2) Looks as though you avoided focusing in on the eyes. Am I wrong? I also liked that. Wrinkles on the forehead to me tells more of a story.

3) Considering the somber mood, did you think about toning down on the brightness and up the contrast a tiny bit to accentuate the wrinkles?

4) Did you ask for a permission to take the pic? It is always an awkward moment for me. Is it for you? How do you approach it, especially when the mood is not the brightest?
Thanks guys.

Nubi -

1/ I did crop the image to 4/3 ratio, I always use proper ratios.

2/ The focusing was on the eyes (always the eyes), (f4) @ 45mm.

3/ The original is a little more punchier. For some reason after bein' hosted and such, it loses some subtlety in this respect.

4/ Yeah, I ask I don't find it difficult. I think its because i'm not too self conscious.
If you don't ask you don't get. In askin' for a picture, its always like askin' a girl out on a date everytime, I feel. If you don't mind some rejection from time to time, you have nothin' to fear.
I know this guy from a couple of meetings before, his name is John, he's homeless.

If you really want to start shootin' portraits on the street, jus' use a smile, some humour and kind words, and a business card. You'll be surprised at how some people open up when they see that you are contactable.

Here is another shot of John.
I don't plan on usin' this shot in my homeless Project 'cos he's not lookin' at the camera, if he was the image would be more powerful. Also, a pedestrians leg has wandered into frame.

04-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As you say, the focus on the eyes. And the eyes of this man are so sad that hurt. I think it must be horrible to be a homeless in a big city, where everybody is in a hurry and reserved. Great job again
04-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Nubi

To me, the the focus is on the eyebrows, not the center of the pupils, and the eyebrows look to be in the same plane as the forehead. I agree that in general you should focus in on the eyes, but to me there are never "always" rules. But that is just my preference.

Thanks for your reply though!

Last edited by Nubi; 04-30-2009 at 09:29 AM.
05-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Very expressive face, with marks of (hard) life on them! Good shot!