Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Right or Left
Posted By: OrenMc, 05-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Just curious.
As individuals how do we veiw things. Do we prefer the composition set on the left side or the right? I know of course there are going to be different factors. But lets say if the photo has relatively the same background. Are we right handed or left handed?
Sorry I didn't match exposure when doing PP.

Views: 1,745
05-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I once read this is based on whether your writingsystem of choice reads from left to right, or from right to left. This determines whether your eye enters the eye from the left or from the right and thus at what point the eye comes to rest.

E.g. someone reading from left to right 'enters' the image on the left and would typically prefer the bird to be on the right. With the bird on the left, there's too much on photo left to the right of the bird, leading the eye to move on, whereas you'd want it to stay focussed on the bird.
05-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I figured there was something like that but really never knew. The writing system huh?

Thanks kevin
05-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Igilligan

A slightly different test...

Oren, I hope you don't mind...

For me it is more about flowing with the eyes... If there is something with eyes in the photo, I tend to want to see where the eyes are leading you. If you crop the other way if feels like the subject is up against the edge of the pic...

So in this pic, the crop on the left lets the photo photo with the eyes out to the right... Does that make any sense...

So for me the question is do you like one of these two better than the other?

here the same photo only flipped. But the angles of the rocks and background weigh in on the decision...

I vote right on this one...

05-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Duh, why didn't I think of just flipping.
I would vote bird on right also. Wouldn't that prove the read from left to right theory?
Thanks gus.
05-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bird on the right, certainly. But in the first example, I would have voted the other way, so bird on the left....
05-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Millionth Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bird on the right. eyes just wants to journey from left to right
05-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

From an overall frame composition standpoint I prefer the 1st one above because the rock extends through the full width of the frame. However as far as the bird itself goes I prefer the 2nd crop because the bird is looking through rather than "at the edge of" the frame.
As Gus said above, in general I prefer subjects with eyes or are pointing somewhere (e.g. flower blossoms) to be framed so that their "trajectory", for lack of a better vocabulary, is across the frame. I feel this helps to keep the viewer's attention inside the frame.

05-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
From an overall frame composition standpoint I prefer the 1st one above because the rock extends through the full width of the frame. However as far as the bird itself goes I prefer the 2nd crop because the bird is looking through rather than "at the edge of" the frame.
As Gus said above, in general I prefer subjects with eyes or are pointing somewhere (e.g. flower blossoms) to be framed so that their "trajectory", for lack of a better vocabulary, is across the frame. I feel this helps to keep the viewer's attention inside the frame.
Yes, the first photos really weren't a very good example because of varying composition. If I would have just flipped the first photo as Gus did I wouldn't have confused this so much. But the question is still the same. I am just curious if there is in fact a preferred composition. I don't knowif its even a relevant question anymore.

Last edited by OrenMc; 05-02-2009 at 11:37 AM.