Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
May Day London I - Clerkenwell Green
Posted By: Trojan_Llama, 05-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Event: May Day (International Workers Day), London May 1st 2009.

Equipment:

K110D

Two pocket size manual focus lens:

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1:1.7
Tokina-Special Auto (MF) 28mm F1:2.8

I'll post more later as I process them.

The vast majority of the marchers were members of foreign communist parties. Quite bizarre when you consider that Marx actually lived nearby, and wrote many of his books specifically with the local English working classes in mind. The Marx Memorial Library stands on the edge of Clerkenwell Green.

There were a number of ageing British communists, trade unionists, trots, and anarchists present, but they are as usual these days, outnumbered by Turks, Tamils, Kurds, Iranians, Iraqis, Latin Americans, etc.

The Turks/Kurds probably represent the greatest number:

The Police, especially the London Met, have been heavily criticised for their strong-handed tactics used a month ago at the G20 protests. Today, they took much more of a 'stand back' approach. Poor beggars looked really hot in all that gear. Still, they ALL wore their numbers

More to follow, including lots of the 'illegal party' that went on to the night in front of the Bank of England, full of protesters dressed as police and prisoners, dancing away to Jailhouse Rock
Views: 2,325
05-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Awesome first two shots Trojan. They really are.

I was there in Trafalgar square, I didn't think much of the photo opportunities.
But then I was a bit wasted and tired.

You got a great couple of shots here, I hope to see more. I didn't know there were parties bein' thrown, damn!
05-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Dom

Nice set.
You want to be careful snapping the old bill they might arrest you as a terrorist. Or try and kill you.
05-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Pauly: Funny enough I skipped Trafalgar Square - got what I wanted at Clerkenwell, and dropped out of the march at Camden, so that I could photo the Bank of England Event with no danger of being kettled.

The party at the Bank of England started at 5:04pm, and was sort advertised by the Space Hijackers - the same group that er... are associated with the armoured tank stunt at the G20 demo. The theme of the party was police, convicts, and kettling. I'm pleased with some of the photos from the party, but they sort of get hazy as it gets later, must have been the poor light. I distinctly remember the K110D going flying once, but good old Pentax - no damage done

Dom: Section 76 is so dodgy that the Police haven't been seen to really use it yet (except to harass Austrian tourists caught photographing a bus station). A few days after G20, I saw an officer posing for tourist photographs.

05-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, I love the kids in the second shot! A good moment!