Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
jet noise....up close
Posted By: vespa, 05-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Visited the cold war jets collection open day at bruntingthorpe today,not an air display as such as most of the aircraft are not certified airworthy.Many however are in running condition and we were treated to a number of engine start and simulated take offs.All these taken with K10 and bigma.

The threshold area with nearest polish Iskra trainer,beyond Victor bomber "teasin tina" and english electric Lightning interceptor.Engine starts were in the centre of the pan.Note the ear defenders and barrier preventing anybody wandering directly behind the running aircraft.....

Canberra startup,engine fired with "shotgun" cartridges a la flight of the phoenix.

Comet 4c returning.

Lightning off the line with reheat,move over phil spector THATS a wall of sound.....

Two of the lightning returning quite like the sign in the second.

Teasin tina blasting off (someones hat)

Views: 2,251
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing! I like #5 and the last one with the hat in the air
05-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for the ee lightning pics.... always one of my favorite cold war fighter bombers...
i'm hoping to one day jump across the 'pond' to see for myself.....
05-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Man, you can almost feel the heat coming out of those engines....

05-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
thanks for the ee lightning pics.... always one of my favorite cold war fighter bombers...
i'm hoping to one day jump across the 'pond' to see for myself.....
Same here,been in love with the "Frightening" since spending a week at RAF wattisham in the 70's.Both 56 and 111 squadrons had converted to the phantom but the 111sqdn CO had somehow managed to hang onto a lightning as his personal mount,standing alert it could go from cold to 40,000ft in something like 2 minutes...

The lightning preservation group have 2 aircraft and now have the last remaining "Q" or Quick Reaction Alert shed which came from wattisham which gives me a nice link to that memorable summer those many years ago