Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!
Posted By: sawtooth235, 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM

This is my MACRO rig: K100D, Vivitar MACRO-focusing Teleconverter, Super Multi-Coated Takumar MACRO 50mm f4.0, Vivitar 5000 ringlight, cheapo e-bay trigger, Bogan Tripod with 3025 head.

Ray

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GX-1L  Photo 

Views: 6,692
05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member
sawtooth235's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange Park, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 875
Original Poster
Hard to believe that none of you has a picture of your rig for making MACROs.
05-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Jimbo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maple Ridge BC Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,365
Hard to beat this one! I am new to Macro but love your set up. JIM
05-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,837
Awsome looking forward to the shots you take with it.

05-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,451
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Hard to beat this one! I am new to Macro but love your set up. JIM
Ok...I will indulge you. I lack the fancy ringlight, but find this setup to my liking:



Depending on the subject, I sometimes switch the Vivitar 135/2.8 in for the M 50/1.7. I also have a Sigma 50/2.8 Macro.

Steve
05-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,637
Mine isn't really a "rig". I've been hemming and hawing back and forth for 6mos now on pulling the trigger for a bellows and/or extension tubes. Meanwhile whenever I feel the macro bug I just pull out the Tamron 90/2.8 and whatever strobes tickle my fancy of the moment.
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: carpentersville, IL
Posts: 693
Mine isn't really a rig either. Got my k100d with an emptied out 2x teleconverter and then whichever lens I feel like doing macro with. Then for the flash I have my pt-04tm trigger on the shoe with up to 3 wireless flashes. Most of my lenses are not so great but as soon as I started using them for macro with the teleconverter they suddenly became very sharp...
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member
sawtooth235's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange Park, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 875
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Hard to beat this one! I am new to Macro but love your set up. JIM
Thanks Jim, I also have a set of extension tubes that frequently finds itself in use.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Awsome looking forward to the shots you take with it.
I have one that I am going to post today that I took that same day.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok...I will indulge you. I lack the fancy ringlight, but find this setup to my liking:



Depending on the subject, I sometimes switch the Vivitar 135/2.8 in for the M 50/1.7. I also have a Sigma 50/2.8 Macro.



Steve
Nice, That is what I'm talking about. It's great to see how other get it done.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Mine isn't really a "rig". I've been hemming and hawing back and forth for 6mos now on pulling the trigger for a bellows and/or extension tubes. Meanwhile whenever I feel the macro bug I just pull out the Tamron 90/2.8 and whatever strobes tickle my fancy of the moment.
Venturi, sounds like you have a lot of flexibility using those tools.

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Mine isn't really a rig either. Got my k100d with an emptied out 2x teleconverter and then whichever lens I feel like doing macro with. Then for the flash I have my pt-04tm trigger on the shoe with up to 3 wireless flashes. Most of my lenses are not so great but as soon as I started using them for macro with the teleconverter they suddenly became very sharp...
Yeah, the further you move the lens from the sensor the more the light rays are becoming perpendicular to the sensor. Light sensors record information better when the light strikes them almost dead straight on, unlike film that had no problem with the angled light hitting its surface.

Ray

05-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,637
QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Venturi, sounds like you have a lot of flexibility using those tools.
Would have. Right now it's just the Tam90. I would really love to have an OEM K-mount bellows unit but they are really hard to find and rather expensive when they do show up. I will probably go ahead and pop for one of the $50-ish ones that are all over ebay here in a couple weeks.

Same deal on the macro tripod rails. You almost have to have one to keep sane when going 1:1
05-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member
sawtooth235's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange Park, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 875
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Would have. Right now it's just the Tam90. I would really love to have an OEM K-mount bellows unit but they are really hard to find and rather expensive when they do show up. I will probably go ahead and pop for one of the $50-ish ones that are all over ebay here in a couple weeks.

Same deal on the macro tripod rails. You almost have to have one to keep sane when going 1:1
I hear you on the focusing rail, that is why I use the flash to stop the constantly swaying plants.Without it either handheld or tripod mounted I would getting a big blurry mass of colors at f16 and ISO 200.

Ray
05-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,637
I've got a "plan" in my head for a DIY "wrap around" bounce card slash wind break for shooting macro outdoors. (There's no such thing as a "calm day" here in Oklahoma - well there is but it means the sh*t is gonna hit the fan in about 30 seconds. LOL)

Right now though it's just a jumble of foamcore, duct tape and some reflective paint rolling about inside the old brain bucket.
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member
netuser's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,236
QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
This is my MACRO rig: K100D, Vivitar MACRO-focusing Teleconverter, Super Multi-Coated Takumar MACRO 50mm f4.0, Vivitar 5000 ringlight, cheapo e-bay trigger, Bogan Tripod with 3025 head.

Ray
What are the chances of a DIY tutorial for a ring like yours ?
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member
sawtooth235's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange Park, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 875
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
What are the chances of a DIY tutorial for a ring like yours ?
What do you have in mind?

Ray
05-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member
netuser's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,236
QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
What do you have in mind?

Ray

Hi

Can you explain how can one make a macro FLASH rig like yours ?
Looks not expensive and yet probably efective
05-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member
sawtooth235's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange Park, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 875
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Hi

Can you explain how can one make a macro FLASH rig like yours ?
Looks not expensive and yet probably efective
I purchased my ringlight from e-bay for about $15.00. It is a Vivitar 5000 with a $20.00 remote flash trigger also from e-bay.

Ray
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, macro, photo, vivitar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax and Samsung a "no show" at the photo show Nightman Pentax News and Rumors 16 08-15-2010 07:32 PM
Air show or should I say Tank Show jbrowning Post Your Photos! 4 10-05-2008 09:59 PM
a fishing slide show video, 1/2 the pictures are mine little laker General Talk 5 06-27-2007 08:50 AM
Car Show "abstracts" Greenwich Show mutley Post Your Photos! 16 06-22-2007 10:59 AM
Show off! NaClH2O Post Your Photos! 3 05-14-2007 08:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top