Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jupiter-9 85mm pics of my pretty (girl) friends
Posted By: sajah, 05-05-2009, 07:33 AM

I love the soft effect of Jupiter-9 85mm f2 and last week I had the chance to test the lens extensively on my two beautiful and cooperative girl-friends. Yes I'm blessed
Comments and critics are welcome, for example, did I made the pics too soft? All pics were taken wide or close to wide open. Thanks!

This one I made a fatal mistake, accidentally used ISO800 so in the end I overexposed her dress.. but I like her expression, too bad

Last edited by sajah; 05-05-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Views: 3,667
05-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
jeffkpotter

Wow, she is pretty indeed! Lovely images. Great lens.
05-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Jeff!
05-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

good photos.
You know,I had this lens. Its really sharp when you stop it at 4 5.6
At 2.0 its soft.

05-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very pretty girl. These photo's look old school and have a film look to them. Well done. JIM
05-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fragla Quote
good photos.
You know,I had this lens. Its really sharp when you stop it at 4 5.6
At 2.0 its soft.
Thank you. Yes, I know it can produce sharp picture when stopped down to 4 or 5.6, but one of the girls told me that she likes the soft pictures (of some models I took before) so thus I used the lens wide at around 2.0 to 2.8, cant be sure, preset rings still confuse me at times

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Very pretty girl. These photo's look old school and have a film look to them. Well done. JIM
Thank you, Jim! The old school film look was never my intention, after all I'm just a newbie with post processing techniques. But I'm glad you like it
05-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

I think the first shoots are a bit too soft, but that's my own opinion, I'd have stop down a little.
Anyway, it's a nice set of pictures.

05-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you, Zav! I really appreciate your opinion.
05-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
Damn Brit

Very nice pictures with beautiful models. The Jupiter nine does produce beautifully out of focus backgrounds.
I'm not too sure about the first one compositionally, the drainpipe appears to be an extension to her body.
05-06-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Very pretty girls, however i will have to agree with Zav and say the first 5 are a little soft for my tastes.

Despite the overexposure, i like the last one best.
05-06-2009, 04:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Very nice pictures with beautiful models. The Jupiter nine does produce beautifully out of focus backgrounds.
I'm not too sure about the first one compositionally, the drainpipe appears to be an extension to her body.
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Very pretty girls, however i will have to agree with Zav and say the first 5 are a little soft for my tastes.

Despite the overexposure, i like the last one best.

Thanks for C&C! yeah I agree with jupiter nine background rendering. Funny, the last pic is also a favorite of many friends of mine, who dont even bother with the overexposure on her dress. This (and Damn Brit's comment) show the importance of non-technical stuffs such as the model expression (and also composition as stated by Damn Brit) etc, which I still have lots to learn. Thanks again.
05-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
JMR
Veteran Member

On many sites, people are often critical of so many things in an image and often ignore or miss the essence of what an image represents or is trying to say. You are fortunate that so many people on this site see beyond all the drawbacks of your images and are able to encourage your work. These are very good images on the whole. Nice light and wonderful, interesting expressions. I noticed the softness of the first five right away and loved the look. A kind of sharpness but soft look. Wonderful. But I really like the last two, despite the branches, and I don't know why! Perhaps it is the tilt of her head and her expressions and the soft quality of her appearance, despite the sharpness of the image. And it is something when you can use sharpness and still convey a soft, etheral quality in the subjects.

JMR
05-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty girlfriend, and nice shots.
Did you do PPing or is that lens that soft wide open?
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think the last two are my favorites but it does indeed have some softness - very pretty friend and nice series.
05-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
On many sites, people are often critical of so many things in an image and often ignore or miss the essence of what an image represents or is trying to say. You are fortunate that so many people on this site see beyond all the drawbacks of your images and are able to encourage your work. These are very good images on the whole. Nice light and wonderful, interesting expressions. I noticed the softness of the first five right away and loved the look. A kind of sharpness but soft look. Wonderful. But I really like the last two, despite the branches, and I don't know why! Perhaps it is the tilt of her head and her expressions and the soft quality of her appearance, despite the sharpness of the image. And it is something when you can use sharpness and still convey a soft, etheral quality in the subjects.

JMR
Thank you JMR, for your detail comment! I agree about the nice people here. I mean, yes I need critics but I do need appreciation also. I have some friends who enjoyed letting me giving them long opinions of their photos but when I asked them opinion about my pics they just answered with one or two word. It's still their opinion anyway but I was expecting more after what I've given to them and I didnt feel appreciated enough. But it's different here and I've learned a lot from this forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Pretty girlfriend, and nice shots.
Did you do PPing or is that lens that soft wide open?
Thank you. The lens is already soft (in a good way) but I accentuated the softness with some PPing, well actually just the noise reduction in lightroom and some selective blur filter.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I think the last two are my favorites but it does indeed have some softness - very pretty friend and nice series.
Thank you! Yeah maybe I put too much noise reduction and too little sharpening. While I like this personally, I think it's important to see what others like in general. So, thanks again.