Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

1st shots with K20D switched from canon
Posted By: Studio20, 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM

quick shots taken in the house tonight with a few profoto strobes....Lens was 50-200mm Pentax.

Switched from a canon 40d to the K20D since the canon was constantly having focus issues and i just thought canons quality just wasnt there unless you used their most expensive lenses.....not all of us can afford that!

So far i'm glad I made the switch!

Views: 3,138
05-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
it is an excellent lens
I guess, no one will dispute that the lens is a bargain for the money, but what is better than "excellent"?

If the 50-200 is "excellent" what is the 31/1.8? "More excellent"? I don't see the point in not recognising that there are bad, mediocre, above average, very good, and excellent/superb lenses. Using superlatives on lenses which are simply not top notch just leads to inflation at best and misinformation at worst.

05-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
congrats, well done
05-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well this stinks....i have severe sciatica so im hoping to wobble out somewhere and really try it out this weekend and see what the camera can really do, only thing that confuses me is all the functions and menus are so different from the canons....getting there tho i guess thats what a manual is for!

thanks for all the great comments!
05-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I guess, no one will dispute that the lens is a bargain for the money, but what is better than "excellent"?

If the 50-200 is "excellent" what is the 31/1.8? "More excellent"? I don't see the point in not recognising that there are bad, mediocre, above average, very good, and excellent/superb lenses. Using superlatives on lenses which are simply not top notch just leads to inflation at best and misinformation at worst.
Though I see your point, I would say the English language has many words that imply greater quality than 'excellent' does.

05-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though I see your point, I would say the English language has many words that imply greater quality than 'excellent' does.
Hmmmm.... Like?
05-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Outstanding, amazing, divine, magnificent, brilliant, formidable, perfect, state-of-the-art, best, and undoubtedly some more.

In the most literal sense 'excellent' means it 'excels'. Which it does depending on what you compare it with. In it's class, I would say it certainly excels. Compared to the best lenses in the world, it's still an excellent lens, but not anything of the above.
05-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Hmmh, a definition of excellent says "Of the highest or finest quality". I don't think it gets "higher" than "highest".

Outstanding, amazing, divine, magnificent, brilliant, formidable, perfect, state-of-the-art, best
State-of-the-art, Outstanding: Usually means very good or excellent, but could be regarded as a relative qualifier. The good will be outstanding among mediocre ones. The state-of-the-art need not be excellent.

Amazing,magnificent, brilliant, formidable: Do not seem to be suitable for describing the quality of a technical item. You could also be "amazed" of how bad it is. Neither of these imply better than "excellent", AFAIC.

Divine: Do you have lenses you call divine?

Perfect: There is not perfect lens.

05-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Welcome and you will get use to the kidding around! JIM
05-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
---
Apparently these words mean different things to different people. I would say 'excellent' is by for not the strongest qualifier. But feel free to think otherwise.
05-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Amazing thread
05-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #26
Forum Member

Location: The 808 State: Hawaii. From Nikon to PENTAX to Canon to Pentax
QuoteOriginally posted by Studio20 Quote
i'd have to say its sharper than the 24-105mm L i had on the 40d, but for the 169 i paid for this lens im not going to complain at all......
First off, congrats and welcome to the fold. You will realize when your shooting on a sunny day with other photographers shooting with their Canon, and all of a sudden it starts to rain and they all take cover will the k20d keeps going and going . But really? Sharper than a 24-105mm L lens?? And I thought L glass were like the top dawg/real expensive type lens? My friend has that on his 5D and he takes nice pictures but they are all bokeh.
05-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iNVision ART Quote
First off, congrats and welcome to the fold. You will realize when your shooting on a sunny day with other photographers shooting with their Canon, and all of a sudden it starts to rain and they all take cover will the k20d keeps going and going . But really? Sharper than a 24-105mm L lens?? And I thought L glass were like the top dawg/real expensive type lens? My friend has that on his 5D and he takes nice pictures but they are all bokeh.
To me the canon and its lenses where just too soft and the colors where very washed out and they always needed alot of PP afterwards, i am finding so far that minimal PP is needed with pentax..

As for the excellent replies....... for the 169 i paid it is excellent........you just cant beat it.
if i bought a canon lens for 169 well actually in the canon lineup it would have been a waste of money!
05-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a very nice photo and welcome to the forum. That 50-200 is one of most underrated lenses in the whole lineup, so is the 55-300 BTW.