Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Single Magnolia Bud w/A-50mm F1.4
Posted By: legacyb4, 05-07-2009, 06:47 AM

Forgot that I had shot this single magnolia bud and found I liked the way it turned out.

Feel free to C&C!
Views: 1,885
05-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lovely composition, indeed. It does look a little too dark though.
05-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice. keep coming back to it as it opens so we can see a series of time lapse shots, eh? those things get huge dont they?
05-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Nice. When it comes to flowers, I think it is a matter of taste, in most cases, as to whether one prefers a lighter or darker image. Macro is such hard work. As one stops down, the out of focus elements start to create their own shapes and we have start over again!

JMR

05-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like this a lot!
05-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Igilligan

I like it fine

I always wonder when someone says that a photo is a bit dark, exactly what they mean? I struggle with that question on some of my photos as well...
I will take a series, and the darker of the exposures are what I like, but when I post them I have had folks that they are a bit too dark...
So I wonder if the overall photo is too dark? Or the subject is not light enough... maybe Kevin can weigh in on what is too dark in this one...
I think it would help me for sure.

Some lenses seem to love the OOF area to be bright while others seem to like the oof area to be a combo of light and shadows...
I tend to try and expose the shot to get what I am actually looking at in the scene, so if the subject is in the shadows, the is what I try to approximate.
I have on occasion pushed the exp in camera or in PP for an effect... but this shot looks very similar to one I would take.
I would shoot if from a few angles to see how I could use the background for effect behind the bud...

I consider this a "tasty" shot... the OOF area is nice muted colors with some cool shapes and the little bud is sharp enough, with more colorful details...
Would it look better in different light? Maybe... only the lens knows for sure
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind comments; if I recall (judging from the EXIF info), this would have been shot after sunset and/or on one of those slightly overcast days which gives it the muted colors.

The biggest challenge we all face, of course, is whether you adjust levels for a Mac or PC...

05-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
While this might not be the *exact* flower, it's most likely off the same bush that I always walk past in my neighborhood...

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
nice. keep coming back to it as it opens so we can see a series of time lapse shots, eh? those things get huge dont they?
05-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ooh NICE!
i love that.
05-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shots, both of them!
05-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like the first one - almost appears to reacing out for something to eat or drink.
05-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Warning: shooting those magnolias can be dangerously addictive! That's a good bud I'd be inclined to crop it to 4x5 (4x6 in portrait always seems tipsy to me.) Seriously, though, keep shooting them through their prime--and beyond.
05-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out!

This was my first spring with my K20D and free time to spend shooting in a long time (kids, life, work) so I'll keep that in mind for the coming spring.

Cheers.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Warning: shooting those magnolias can be dangerously addictive! That's a good bud I'd be inclined to crop it to 4x5 (4x6 in portrait always seems tipsy to me.) Seriously, though, keep shooting them through their prime--and beyond.