Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
With a name like "Skunk Cabbage" you know it ain't gonnna be pretty
Posted By: NaClH2O, 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM

But I find the "flowers" of the Eastern Skunk Cabbage to be really interesting. They have such great shapes, and many of them are definitely "meat like" in color. Here is a small sampling of 4.
All taken with the DS and the DA 50-200 lens
f5.6 at 1/180

f5.6 at 250

f5.6 at 1/350

f5.6 at 1/250

Nope, they aren't beautiful, or even pretty, but I think they are strangely compelling just the same. And you can't say they're not unique!

NaCl(I like weird stuff)H2O
Views: 1,880
04-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is a weird plant but interesting. It looks like it is a flesh eating plant. Nice shots.

Cheers

Eddie
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

very interesting photo's thanks for sharing.

The top picture has a little red object on the lower left hand corner. Could this be a fresh bud? I'm just wondering if it would make another picture on it's own
04-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
very interesting photo's thanks for sharing.

The top picture has a little red object on the lower left hand corner. Could this be a fresh bud? I'm just wondering if it would make another picture on it's own
Hi Stu, I think that is a barberry bud, can't be sure. I had low top sneakers on at the time, that's why I was using the 50-200, I couldn't get near the plants w/o sinking up to mid calf, and I wasn't quite ready to do that, it was barely 40 degrees that day, not to mention that swamp mud is yucko.

NaCl(I can say it is not a Skunk Cabbage bud/sprout)H2O

04-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't have waded either, and they're still good pic's which is all that matters
04-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
dbh
Inactive Account

Nope, they aren't beautiful, or even pretty, but I think they are strangely compelling just the same. And you can't say they're not unique!

NaCl(I like weird stuff)H2O
----
I gotta agree. On all 4 of your points. Thanks for sharing the photos.

dbh - fascinated by nature
04-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Buddy, the plants are a bit creepy (I've never seen one that I can recall), but the photography is first rate - you do so well in close-in shots.

Jer

04-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Thanks for posting these. They are kinda eerie, but beautiful.

Um, is there a reason that they call them 'skunk' cabbages?
04-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

they do smell a little like a skunk at times.
If I remember correctly it's only certain times of the year.
04-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the compliments---keep them coming!
To spillway:
Yes there is a reason they are called "skunk cabbage". They are misfits in the floral kingdom. They actually are pollinated by carrion eaters, flies and the like. To be truthful, they stink! Some people describe it as a 'skunk like' odor, to me it smells more like something rotten. In any case not a plant you want to walk up to and sniff! It must work well tho, they are a very common plant in poor drainage areas in the north east. Very early sprouters, frequently the first plants up. They are thermogenic, meaning they produce their own heat. I've seen them melt holes through as much as 4-5 inches (10-13cm) of snow! In addtion the that little "room" inside the 'flower' can get as warm as 70 F! (21 C). Botanists theorize that this helps attract pollinating insects on cold early spring days. Even their scientific name is interesting:
Symplocarpus foetidus.

NaCl(like I said, not your usual plant)H2O