Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

If only they were eagles...
Posted By: heliphoto, 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM

I came upon these turkey vultures this morning alongside the road - very photogenic (if they weren't so ugly)...

#1 The basking tree...

#3 Preening...

#4 Catching some rays...

All shot with the Tamron SP 400mm F4, on a tripod f/7.1, 1/2000 sec., ISO 400 (last is f/9 & 1/500)
Views: 3,259
05-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the shot by the poles, what a great story it tells. Lighting condition is extreme, but I think you strike a good balance.

05-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
Igilligan

As the lead singer...

in the legendary band the "Lawn Vultures" it hurts my heart a little to hear them described as ugly... the song of the lawn vulture is a beautiful thing...

Lawn Vultures on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads please listen with an open heart and mind!

Josh this one is freakin hot!

P.S. the Eagles are lame compared to the Lawn Vultures... listen to Hey Boys and tell me it don't spank Hotel Cali... and American woman blows Life in the fastlane to feather smudges

nuff said
05-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Great series Josh! Beautiful plumage like an eagle, but ugly (all business) heads...

For those not aware: this is a very common behavior of red/black vultures first thing in the morning and a great chance to take advantage of it. Evidently thermoregulation & drying is the reason for this behavior in vultures.

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc .

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
I love the shot by the poles, what a great story it tells. Lighting condition is extreme, but I think you strike a good balance.
Thanks for looking and commenting Song_hm - but just to be clear, that shot by the poles was posted by fwcetus . (I like it too though - the poles add a lot to the scene).

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
As the lead singer... in the legendary band the "Lawn Vultures" it hurts my heart a little to hear them described as ugly... the song of the lawn vulture is a beautiful thing...

Lawn Vultures on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads please listen with an open heart and mind!

Josh this one is freakin hot!
(pic)

P.S. the Eagles are lame compared to the Lawn Vultures... listen to Hey Boys and tell me it don't spank Hotel Cali... and American woman blows Life in the fastlane to feather smudges

nuff said
Hah! Love the band name - I'm sure you picked it 'cause the birds are so cute and cuddly ... When you guys hit the bigtime, you can license that shot for your platinum album cover (that's right I just wanna a piece of your success )...
05-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love vultures, especially the exaggerated V their wings form in flight.

Yeah they're no american kestral or peregrin falcon (beautiful birds) but they've got their own appeal like a jeep or a b-17, they're built for their purpose and look exactly like it.

05-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Last 2 of the first series looks crisp clear and clean shots much enjoyed

cheers
05-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Great shots of a much maligned bird We have black vultures here too, and they are a not quite as strange looking.
05-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

There are few things quite as graceful as a kettle of vultures playing the thermals on a hot summer afternoon.

With the exception of the wandering albatross they may be the most efficient soaring birds in the world.

In India they extirpated the vultures in some of their cities as a health measure. After they got rid of the vultures infectious disease increased in the human population. Reason? It was the humans that were dirty not the vultures. Without the vultures their cities soon turned into hugh garbage pits. They learned their lesson and, at great cost, have reintroduced vultures into the city environment. The city fathers learned their lesson - the vultures have a job to do, let them do it.

Shot 5 is "beautiful" to my eyes. Nice capture.

----------------------------

"Each creature is good
in the sight of the Great Spirit.
It is not necessary,
that eagles should be crows."
..Sitting Bull (Teton Sioux)

Last edited by wildman; 05-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.
05-11-2009, 05:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter

There just happens to be a blog entry from a day or two ago with some pretty good info about turkey vultures, complete with some images (EXIF indicates Nikon) at Daily Kos: State of the Nation

The photos aren't as good as heliphoto's, but they're a pretty good assortment, and they do come with some pretty good commentary.
05-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
I love vultures, especially the exaggerated V their wings form in flight.

Yeah they're no american kestral or peregrin falcon (beautiful birds) but they've got their own appeal like a jeep or a b-17, they're built for their purpose and look exactly like it.
Thanks for your support ...

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Last 2 of the first series looks crisp clear and clean shots much enjoyed

cheers
Glad you liked 'em cupic.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Great shots of a much maligned bird We have black vultures here too, and they are a not quite as strange looking.
California - even our vultures are strange ...

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
There are few things quite as graceful as a kettle of vultures playing the thermals on a hot summer afternoon.

With the exception of the wandering albatross they may be the most efficient soaring birds in the world.

In India they extirpated the vultures in some of their cities as a health measure. After they got rid of the vultures infectious disease increased in the human population. Reason? It was the humans that were dirty not the vultures. Without the vultures their cities soon turned into hugh garbage pits. They learned their lesson and, at great cost, have reintroduced vultures into the city environment. The city fathers learned their lesson - the vultures have a job to do, let them do it.

Shot 5 is "beautiful" to my eyes. Nice capture.

----------------------------

"Each creature is good
in the sight of the Great Spirit.
It is not necessary,
that eagles should be crows."
..Sitting Bull (Teton Sioux)
Thanks wildman. I really like how vultures fly - maximum efficiency. Interesting info re: India, and interesting quite from Sitting Bull (I like it). Thanks for your comment on #5 - I agree it's the standout of the morning .

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
There just happens to be a blog entry from a day or two ago with some pretty good info about turkey vultures, complete with some images (EXIF indicates Nikon) at Daily Kos: State of the Nation

The photos aren't as good as heliphoto's, but they're a pretty good assortment, and they do come with some pretty good commentary.
Thanks for the link fwcetus.
05-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A magnificent series! Such photos will decorate the good book about wildlife.
05-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your kind comment Doctor....
05-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Glad they are not eagles, these a more interesting as they are!
05-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Georg.