Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Aircraft fish-eye photo without fish-eye lens....
Posted By: 7.62lew, 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM

....well sort of. The first one anyway. Taken May 9th 2009. There are some more on my flickr photo stream (along with more info) Flickr: 7.62lew's Photostream

Thanks for looking

Views: 6,263
05-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love that first "fisheye" spinner shot - too cool!...

I love seeing the body language of the guy in the background of the hovering heli shot - us heli-drivers get so much hate from airplane pilots, we blow to much dust into their planes .

That last shot's very cool too, looks like you're getting strafed by that guy. looks like a fun show!
05-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

that last shot is fantastic, can imagine it would look great with a b&w and grain treatment!
05-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Love that first "fisheye" spinner shot - too cool!...

I love seeing the body language of the guy in the background of the hovering heli shot - us heli-drivers get so much hate from airplane pilots, we blow to much dust into their planes .

That last shot's very cool too, looks like you're getting strafed by that guy. looks like a fun show!
Thanks!

There were probably about 5 or 6 different helicopters at the event. Some guy was buzzing around in an R22, there were a couple of Huey's and some R44's. I will try to get some of the helo pics up.

The last shot, was not as clear as I had hoped. I had the shake reduction set at 24mm and forgot to change it when I put on the 400MM. I was standing on a large rock by the approach light, and the guy must have saw me, cause he buzzed right at me, then peeled off in a left hand bank. Pretty cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
that last shot is fantastic, can imagine it would look great with a b&w and grain treatment!
Thanks! I will have to try that and see how it looks.

05-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great shots! i am glad for you that the prop in the first shot wasnt turning when you snapped the pic.

hey, is that a T-6 Texan in those last 2 pics? I recently posted pics of one in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/59452-roadtrip-petaluma-ca-b-w-series.html
But you got to see it in the air - how cool is that?!
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
great shots! i am glad for you that the prop in the first shot wasnt turning when you snapped the pic.

hey, is that a T-6 Texan in those last 2 pics? I recently posted pics of one in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/59452-roadtrip-petaluma-ca-b-w-series.html
But you got to see it in the air - how cool is that?!
Thank you
Yes, that is a T-6. The guy was selling rides for $295 for around 20 minutes, I think. He took that kid out and was doing loops and rolls with him(but too far away to photograph). The kid looked a little ruff when he got back, but not too bad
05-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

How cool for that kid! - My father in law's a private pilot with a nice Cessna, but has always dreamed of flying in the P-51 Mustang (who hasn't)... a few years ago, we got a bunch of family members to chip in and we bought him a ride in a P-51 - he's been talkin about it ever since .
05-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
How cool for that kid! - My father in law's a private pilot with a nice Cessna, but has always dreamed of flying in the P-51 Mustang (who hasn't)... a few years ago, we got a bunch of family members to chip in and we bought him a ride in a P-51 - he's been talkin about it ever since .

Yea, I would kill (well not really) for a ride in a P51. The closest I got was in a T-6. When I was going to A and P school, I won a ride at the open house. The pilot had been an instructor in WWII and said that they had kept him in the states for the whole war as an instructor. I wish I could remember his name. Seems like he was out of Denver or there abouts.

05-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That last shot of the T-6 is great! Were it mine, I would consider cloning out the Piper Cherokee, and I agree that a B&W treatment might look pretty cool. Since you guys brought up the P-51, I was very fortunate to ride in the jump seat of one for about an hour and a half, including a low pass and victory roll. It was a long time ago (1974), but I remember it like it was yesterday. I've had the opportunity to fly and be a passenger in many corporate and private aircraft, but nothing tops the time I spent in the P-51D.
05-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
That last shot of the T-6 is great! Were it mine, I would consider cloning out the Piper Cherokee, and I agree that a B&W treatment might look pretty cool. Since you guys brought up the P-51, I was very fortunate to ride in the jump seat of one for about an hour and a half, including a low pass and victory roll. It was a long time ago (1974), but I remember it like it was yesterday. I've had the opportunity to fly and be a passenger in many corporate and private aircraft, but nothing tops the time I spent in the P-51D.
The P51 is one of the all time greats. When my dad was a kid during WWII, he lived right off the end of a P51 training field. They had taken to laying in the grass at the end of the runway and letting the planes take off right over them. That lasted until one of the planes accidentally fired off some rounds when it was taking off. It scared them so bad, they stayed clear of the end of the runway. The approach to the runway went right beside their house, and he said that all the trees had been cut down so B-17's could come in low.

Here is the clone, and I tried to get rid of some of the noise. Also added a couple more pics.

Thanks for looking

05-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I liked a self-portrait at number 1
05-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Here is the clone, and I tried to get rid of some of the noise. Also added a couple more pics.
IMHO, the cloned version is an improvement. Great shot! Well done. Thanks for posting.
05-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a fisheye fan and you have shown me why ! Excellent shots. Too many to comment on , but I enjoyed the series.
05-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
Marketplace Reseller

Excellent Photos!
05-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drmartin Quote
I liked a self-portrait at number 1
QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
IMHO, the cloned version is an improvement. Great shot! Well done. Thanks for posting.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I am a fisheye fan and you have shown me why ! Excellent shots. Too many to comment on , but I enjoyed the series.
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
Excellent Photos!

Thanks for the kind comments

7.62lew