Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portraits of Peru - My favorites
Posted By: xs400, 05-11-2009, 08:48 AM

On my recent vacation to Peru, I shot quite a few pics of the local people living in the highlands. These are my favorites.
K20 + DA 50-200mm

Last edited by xs400; 05-11-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Views: 1,671
05-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series Frank. What a interesting way to live. Very different from our norm but maybe that's a good thing! JIM
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Nice series Frank. What a interesting way to live. Very different from our norm but maybe that's a good thing! JIM
Thanks Jim, They do have a different life style than us. They don't have as many material things as us, but they were less stressed and cheerful. They certainly have a great sense of family and community that I don't see where I live. There are certainly somethings that are good about their lives that we don't have.
05-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

These are excellent, dare I call them, environmental portraits. Though one usually sees more of the environment in such portraits, your images evoke a kind of characterizion of people in their environment. Very nice.

JMR

05-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series. As you say in another post this kind of photography is very gratifying. For me nothing like a good portrait. You say they live less stressed and with more family life. As a member of a latin country i can say you are more supported by your relatives, but you loose part of your freedom. I think we must found an average among hte individualism and the group. Sorry, that's another matter. Good job!!
05-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like them very much as well. Well done and thanks for showing them.
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the all , but particularly the ones taken without them knowing. Pure expressions on all of them well done Frank.

05-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
These are excellent, dare I call them, environmental portraits. Though one usually sees more of the environment in such portraits, your images evoke a kind of characterizion of people in their environment. Very nice.

JMR
Thank you very much.

QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
Nice series. As you say in another post this kind of photography is very gratifying. For me nothing like a good portrait. You say they live less stressed and with more family life. As a member of a latin country i can say you are more supported by your relatives, but you loose part of your freedom. I think we must found an average among the individualism and the group. Sorry, that's another matter. Good job!!
You comment “Ican say you are more supported by your relatives, but you loose part of your freedom.” From what I saw, I would tend to agree. In the highlands of Peru, there is definitely pressure to conform to the local norms – there especially seems to be a kind of dress code where your clothing tells people where you are from, if you are married or not, and what your position is in the community (are you the mayor, for instance). We were also told there are specific norms for dating and meeting members of the opposite sex. It these respects, there is definitely a loss of freedom.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like them very much as well. Well done and thanks for showing them.
Thanks, your comments are greatly appreciated

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I like the all , but particularly the ones taken without them knowing. Pure expressions on all of them well done Frank.
Dave, thanks very much.
Frank
05-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, these portraits are simply magnificent! You have told much about their life. Thanks!
05-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Strong work, you've got some great shots from your trip
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank,

Nice series of reality photos. I think you really captured the flavor of the highlands. I did my graduate work down in Peru in the late 70's, and I don't really think that too much has changed there since. That is either fortunate or unfortunate, depending, of course, on one's viewpoint.

None the less, I think your pictures captured a lot of what I experienced in my extended stay. But life for these highland people is still a very rough road compared to what the average forum member experiences daily.

Great shots.

Stephen
05-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

ok I got to go to peru!!
I love the photos