Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  
How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE
Posted By: Adam, 09-06-2006, 08:40 PM

There are four ways of posting photos in your threads:

1. Attach images directly* to your posts
Attachments are files saved inside individual posts. You can attach photos to virtually any post on the forum.

To upload an attachment:
  1. Start a post by clicking the 'post reply' or 'new thread' button, (if using quick reply, skip to step 2)
  2. Scroll to the lower portion of the page
  3. Click the 'manage attachments' button.
You will then be able to upload image files straight from your computer. Any attachments will automatically be shown in your post. You can upload up to 100Mb of photos at once and our system will scale them appropriately if needed. We recommend uploading photos no larger than 1400 pixels wide x 900 pixels tall to avoid auto-scaling.

Important: be sure to click on the upload button in the attachment popup, and be sure to save/submit your post. Otherwise, your attachments won't go live.

Note: you can also attach more photos when editing a post (in the go advanced view) or posting a quick reply.

Acceptable image file types include: gif jpe jpeg jpg png

If you attempt to upload a very large file, our system will time out after reading in more than 100Mb of data or waiting 60 seconds, whichever comes first. You will then be shown a session "token error". To fix this problem, scale the photo to a smaller (web-friendly) resolution before uploading.

To increase your total attachment space, click here.

2. Embed an off-site image
To embed an off-site image, simply place the following code in your post, replacing the placeholder URL with the address of your actual image:
[img]http://www.site.com/image.jpg[/img]
You can also use the button in the visual editor and enter the URL in the prompt.

The URL must be a valid internet address. If your photo is currently on your hard drive, see method #1 instead.

Important: the link you enter here has to point directly to the image, not to a page containing to the image. The easiest way to verify that the link is correct is to check to see if it ends in an image filetype extension, such as .JPG, .GIF, or .PNG.

NOTE: Please embed only reasonably-sized photos. No monstrous filesizes or resolutions!

3. Post images from the User Photo Gallery
To upload an image to the User Photo Gallery, click here.
To then embed your uploaded images, either follow method 2 above, or click the button if using quick reply, or the "insert album photo" link if using the main editor, and proceed to select your photos. Click on a photo to embed it, and make sure you choose the appropriate thumbnail type from the dropdown.

The filesize limit within the user photo gallery is generally 2Mb. There is no resolution limit.

4. Post images from a Personal Album

To upload photos to a personal album, click here.
To then embed your uploaded images, either follow method 2 above, or click the button if using quick reply, or the "insert album photo" link if using the main editor, and proceed to select your photos. Click on a photo to embed it, and make sure you choose the appropriate thumbnail type from the dropdown.

The filesize limit within the album system is 1Mb, and the resolution limit is 1024x1024px. Larger files will automatically be scaled and/or compressed.

For gallery and album photos, you can also use method (2) given you copy the original URL of your image.

5. Embedding attachments already posted in another thread

Click the button if using quick reply, or the "insert album photo" link if using the main editor, select "albums", "gallery", or "attachments" in the left hand dropdown, and proceed to select your photos. Click on a photo to embed it, and make sure you choose the appropriate thumbnail type from the dropdown. A list of all your attached photos is also found here.

E
XIF Information

EXIF information will automatically be read from any attached photos in your post and displayed in a dropdown above them.

EXIF is also read for photos within our user photo gallery or album system, but is not available when you embed those photos.

Note: EXIF information must be complete in order to be read. Incomplete information (< 8 fields) will be ignored.

Image Sizing

The maximum embedded image width and height are by default constrained to 1024 pixels. Clicking any photo will allow you to view it in its original dimensions. To change these defaults or to disable the resizing system, visit your profile options.

We kindly ask that your embedded photos do not exceed 1Mb in filesize to speed up loading. You are encouraged to use links to large files.

You may want to occasionally check your upload quotas and filesize restrictions here on PentaxForums, as changes are sometimes made without notice!

We used to rely on the [imgwide] BBCode () to embed wide photos in posts. While you may still use this tag (see here for details), it has become deprecated due to the introduction of the auto image resizing system.

Here's some images showing the process of adding an image to a post: Here, showing how to add an image thread here in Post your Photos.
First, this is the page you see when you go to create a thread. I have edited the text as shown.

Next, when a user clicks on the "Manage Attachments" button, the following pop-up appears:

Click on "Choose Files". A screen will appear showing the user's folders on their computer and they can navigate from there to the location of the photo they'd like to upload.

The user should click "Upload" after navigating to the and clicking on the image they'd like to upload.
The "Manage Attachments" pop-up will now display as follows, showing the image (or images) selected.

The "Manage Attachments" pop-up can now be closed.
The member will see the following screen, the "New Thread Screen" as seen before adding the image, now has an image attached.

The member can choose to go and change that attachment, or can simply click on "Submit New Thread" which will complete the thread creation, complete with image.

Last edited by Adam; 11-13-2023 at 10:59 PM. Reason: updates
Views: 283,541
02-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #121
Unregistered User

How do I embed pics from flickr?

Trying with a random image:

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/limbo-up/15814211994/in/pool-tamron17-50mm[img]

What am I doing wrong?

02-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #122

Hello all.

I enjoy the challenge of shooting birds... with my camera of course ! I have the K50 but think I want the K3. I was wondering if anyone has comparison photos of 55-300 zoom lens vs 300 prime lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Burrtp Quote
I enjoy the challenge of shooting birds... with my camera of course ! I have the K50 but think I want the K3. I was wondering if anyone has comparison photos of 55-300 zoom lens vs 300 prime lens.
Check out the specific lens details in the forums database for more information. This thread is to test for posting photos, but I can offer my opinions on your questions.
I've had the K500 (Same as K50 without focus confirmation in viewfinder or WR) and now the K3. Although there are lot more features on the K3 and its overall a nicer camera, comparitive image quality is nearly the same (excluding resolution differences) with a slight edge to the 50/500 with less noise in upper ISO ranges. Without going into specific lenses, generally the kit 55-300 lens is adequate and versatile and if you use the camera's built in lens correction options, it's pretty good up to around 260mm before it starts to get softer. A dedicated Prime will almost always have better IQ and usually is a bit brighter, but there are several variations and options that can make a difference.
I posted the hummingbird pic a few posts back using the K50 and the DA L 55-300 kit lens.
02-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #124

which lens corrections are you referring to? I sometimes use anti shake but that is about it.

02-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Burrtp Quote
which lens corrections are you referring to? I sometimes use anti shake but that is about it.
On K50/K500 2nd page of camera settings "Lens Correction" You can turn on "Distortion Correction" and "Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj". This works very well based on the chipset in the standard or kit lenses when shooting jpeg and not doing any raw processing. In your bird image the purple fringe of Chromatic Aberration of the lens should have been corrected in camera with these options on.
03-07-2015, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #126

Photos: Gallery | Albums
landscape solitary tree

Always had a thing with solitary trees ,with muschroom like apperance...
03-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #127

Photos: Albums
When the 1st astronaut Jurij Gagarin was young :-)

when he was young :-) little bit of recession

Attached Images

03-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #128

Photos: Albums
when Jurij Gagarin was young

fufilled Jurijs dreams
04-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Flickr

Is it no longer possible to post pictures from a Flickr URL? I haven't posted in a long time and it seems Flickr has changed things since I was last there. I don't see how to get a URL that points at each picture. Do you know how to do this?
04-30-2015, 02:33 AM   #130
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When on flickr, do you see an icon that looks like a curved outlined arrow? It would be located on the right hand side of the page, after clicking on your photo. Click on that, chose BBcode, and chose your size. Code will be highlighted, copy that and past into your thread, post, etc..
04-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
When on flickr, do you see an icon that looks like a curved outlined arrow? It would be located on the right hand side of the page, after clicking on your photo. Click on that, chose BBcode, and chose your size. Code will be highlighted, copy that and past into your thread, post, etc..
Thanks photolady, I think this looks right, although when I copy and paste the link I get a very long string, from which the correct URL has to be surgically removed.

Here's a test:

Software developers seem driven to make life as difficult as possible The old way was far easier.

A test of the photo icon at top of reply dialog:

Last edited by GeoJerry; 04-30-2015 at 09:47 AM.
04-30-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, it does have an extra long url, but if you look closely after you paste it in the browser page, you'll see two of these [url][url] put your cursor between the two, hold your shift key, and place your cursor at the end [url] this will highlight the second address string, just press delete. After you do that, the photo is clickable and takes you to the photo on flickr.
04-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Yes, it does have an extra long url, but if you look closely after you paste it in the browser page, you'll see two of these [url][url] put your cursor between the two, hold your shift key, and place your cursor at the end [url] this will highlight the second address string, just press delete. After you do that, the photo is clickable and takes you to the photo on flickr.
Got it, I see how it works now. Thanks very much for taking the time!
04-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome!
06-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #135
Veteran Member

it worked, and it's a very nice photo, but I don't think this is where you wanted to post it