Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Grackles
Posted By: wildman, 05-13-2009, 02:44 AM

I know they are common but I think they have their own kind of beauty.

Last edited by wildman; 05-23-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Views: 1,580
05-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots! I'm slowly learning about birds and so far have managed to find and shoot a boat tailed grackle as well as a common grackle. The blue/indigo feathers are beautiful on the common grackles.
05-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, but man the images side by side stretching out the post is a little annoying. I do not know if it was you or the forum that arranged these "film strip" style.

Grackles are certainly more interesting to look at than many give credit to. They are just bullies and terrorists of the backyard variety.
05-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow, had no idea a grackle could look so genteel and otherwise refined in appearance. My only experience with them was for five years at the Univ of Tx where they would descend as a cloud of thousands upon all the trees and buildings every evening and coat the passersby and sidewalks with bird poop and a collective din that was most unsettling. I would hate those afternoons my study session ran late or i had an evening exam because getting out of the building meant getting bombed with droppings, there was no way to avoid it.

Of course in 5 years at UT I cannot say i ever saw one of these birds in the sunlight, so didnt realize they have nice plumage and graceful lines.

05-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A lot of people have a "hatred" towards Grackles. Personally, I find them a rather interesting bird. They are rather intelligent, proud and stubborn - definitely full of "personality". I'm no bird expert so apologies if my comparison offends but they rather remind me of a cross between a Raven and a Mynah.
05-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Oh, but man the images side by side stretching out the post is a little annoying. I do not know if it was you or the forum that arranged these "film strip" style.

Grackles are certainly more interesting to look at than many give credit to. They are just bullies and terrorists of the backyard variety.
I'm not aware that the poster has any control over the position of the images only the order.

Anyone?
05-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"They are just bullies and terrorists of the backyard variety"...

..."They are rather intelligent, proud and stubborn"

Not unlike another overly common species I can think of.
05-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

The first image looks slightly overexposed, at least in compariosn to the others. Nonetheless, they are all very good images, and I particularly like the 2 and 3.

JMR

05-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are really nice images of common Grackles wildman, the third one is a superb image. Thanks for posting them.

As for the arrangement of the images, I don't know. I have never attached them, I just link them to pbase.
05-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I echo JMR's post - wonderful captures! This variety is a very colorful bird, no question! I saw quite a few Great-Tailed Grackles in the Rio Grande Valley. Quite vocal, not as brilliant a plumage, but entertaining...

I am starting to guess it was a hiccup somewhere, but only for attached images. JMR did a post with 3 images in a horizontal orientation. Now yours are fine too (vertical orientation). I just viewed this thread, so I didn't see a horizontal orientation on your images.

Regards,
Marc
05-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots of a bird that is my nemesis - somehow these vengeful creatures seek out freshly waxed sailboats, alight in the rigging and then do their stuff. I've got nothing good to say about the SOB's but I have lots good to say about your photos of these *&*%&$# birds.

Jer
05-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the kind replys.

They are so common I guess we'll just have to live with them.

Just thought I'd throw this in for contrast. He sat on my deck not more than 15 feet from me this afternoon.

Last edited by wildman; 05-23-2009 at 03:20 AM.
05-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Thanks for all the kind replys.

They are so common I guess we'll just have to live with them.

Just thought I'd throw this in for contrast. He sat on my deck not more than 15 feet from me this afternoon.
Funny; I took some pics of a Common Grackle today also. Yours are much better! He was having it out with a Robin that apparently was on his turf.

Love the picture of the Baltimore Oriole, too.