Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Raffling off a print
Posted By: Jimbo, 05-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Each year a customer of mine holds a golf tournament in Edmonton where about 140 people attend. During the tourament they raise money for the Canadian Heart and Lung Association. This year I will be supplying the attached print [20"x32"] framed which they will raffle off with all proceeds going to their charity. They are hoping to raise close to a $1000.00. I sent in 20 pictures for them to choose from and this is the one they decided on. The print turned out beautiful and is now getting framed. I was lucky on the framing as my company said they would cover the cost. I covered the cost of the print. Cheers JIM

Views: 5,818
05-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great to hear.

Givin' is great!
05-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
jeffkpotter

Cool. One of your very best!
05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Jim,

Excellent image choice! Glad to see you are giving too - awesome!

It's very satisfying when you can do it. Just handed off 2 images for the Botanical Gardens for their 2009 fundraiser and as you know I've contributed in the past to some very good causes (including memorial fundraising).

A suggestion: if possible, please encourage them to set a minimum bidding price that's reasonable if only one bid runs on it. This avoids the "yard sale" or fire sale" mentality. I've been there before and sometimes people aren't interested in fundraising for charity. They want a "deal", which is very unfortunate and not in the spirit of the fundraising. By having a minimum, you ensure a worthwhile return on your contribution to the cause. I've learned to stick to my principles on that one - it's worth it. YMMV...

Regards,
Marc

05-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great to hear.

Givin' is great!
Thank you and yes it does feel good doing this. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Cool. One of your very best!
Thanks Jeff. Their pick not mine but I do like this image too. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Hey Jim,

Excellent image choice! Glad to see you are giving too - awesome!

It's very satisfying when you can do it. Just handed off 2 images for the Botanical Gardens for their 2009 fundraiser and as you know I've contributed in the past to some very good causes (including memorial fundraising).

A suggestion: if possible, please encourage them to set a minimum bidding price that's reasonable if only one bid runs on it. This avoids the "yard sale" or fire sale" mentality. I've been there before and sometimes people aren't interested in fundraising for charity. They want a "deal", which is very unfortunate and not in the spirit of the fundraising. By having a minimum, you ensure a worthwhile return on your contribution to the cause. I've learned to stick to my principles on that one - it's worth it. YMMV...

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc. What they plan on doing is having a board with 1-200 numbers on it and sell them for $5.00 a number. This way they are getting a X amount. I have been to this tournament for years. All the squares will sell. They wanted to open it up to everyone and not just the deep pocketed people. Crap, I will end up buying 10 myself though I will not take the prize even if my number comes up. Redraw! Anyway, I will let you know how it goes. JIM
05-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot for a great cause, old buddy.

Jer
05-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great shot for a great cause, old buddy.

Jer
Appreciate it Jer. Cheers JIM

05-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Cool one Jim and well done for giving.
05-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #9

So you use someone local to do the printing? I have been looking for somewhere reputable to do a couple of large-ish prints for my house.
Cheers
Paul (in PoMo)
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Cool one Jim and well done for giving.
Thanks Gary. About time! JIM

QuoteQuote:
So you use someone local to do the printing? I have been looking for somewhere reputable to do a couple of large-ish prints for my house.
Cheers
Paul (in PoMo)
I have a local camera shop. [Photo Express] that has done all my printing. So far I have been happy. JIM
05-14-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great photo and great cause! Isn't it nice to see one of your photos all printed and framed. Sometimes I think we loose something by displaying so much online

John
05-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

gorgeous.... Dave
05-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I will bid on it (ok well not really but in a silent auction I would). Congrats on the shot that is a very nice thing you are doing. And oh yeah stunning photo.
05-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great photo and great cause! Isn't it nice to see one of your photos all printed and framed. Sometimes I think we loose something by displaying so much online

John
Thank you John and I agree about the frsaming and hanging. I only have a few up at home. My wife is bugging my to do some flower shots to hang. JIM

QuoteQuote:
gorgeous.... Dave
Thank you for your kind words Dave. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I will bid on it (ok well not really but in a silent auction I would). Congrats on the shot that is a very nice thing you are doing. And oh yeah stunning photo.
Today 05:56 AM
Thanks bud. cheers JIM
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

good for you, Jimbo, and an excellent image. I bet it looks fantastic at that large size!

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote

John
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Thank you John and I agree about the frsaming and hanging. I only have a few up at home. My wife is bugging my to do some flower shots to hang. JIM

I agree, John, I have been trying to print more and larger. Jim, my wife bugs me for flower shots, too!