Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Heron on the Hunt
Posted By: Jimbo, 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM

I can't believe how fast these Heron's can catch a fish. Got these two today. JIM

Views: 3,121
05-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
One more. JIM

05-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nicely done, where are you finding these guys?

The only constructive criticism I can offer is to try and get the focus right on the eyes -- it seems that the body is more in focus here.
05-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful shots. I am envious as I have not seen one yet this spring

05-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am with Pingflood on the comments. (Sorry, I have a dog concern I must attend to, so it's a short reply.)

Beautiful colors Jim!! Very, very nice.

Regards,
Marc
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice images Jim, pingflood is right where do you find them or more specifically how do you get close to them. I can get close to most small birds so one would think a heron would be easy? Not for me anyway :-(
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nicely done, where are you finding these guys?

The only constructive criticism I can offer is to try and get the focus right on the eyes -- it seems that the body is more in focus here.
I agree. I think this was camera shake. I waiting 3-4 mintes holding the camera and I think I moved a bit. My life story. JIM

QuoteQuote:
beautiful shots. I am envious as I have not seen one yet this spring
Thanks Scott. As long as their looking for food they tend to ignore me. I was about 15 feet away. JIM

QuoteQuote:
am with Pingflood on the comments. (Sorry, I have a dog concern I must attend to, so it's a short reply.)

Beautiful colors Jim!! Very, very nice.

Regards,
Marc
I agree Mark on the sharpness. Damn, it looked ok on the preview. This is cropped 100% and it really showed up. The bird was walking away as I was shooting. I think I got to worry about missing the shot instead of taking that extra split second. Hope the your dog is ok. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Very nice images Jim, pingflood is right where do you find them or more specifically how do you get close to them. I can get close to most small birds so one would think a heron would be easy? Not for me anyway :-(
Thanks Henrich. About every weekor two I spot one I was on the side of the road for about a hour waiting this one out as he was fishing. I just missed the focus which is a killer. Will try again. Cheers JIM

05-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Awesome work Jim, you're really scoring with those herons.
05-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Overall very good shots.

Hint:
A lot of the beauty of the big waders is how they use those long legs. The next time you are down in the bottoms lay aside the camera and pick up your binos for a bit. Watch how they move through the grass. It's like looking at a slow-motion ballet - very graceful. After this then try capturing some of that grace with a camera.
05-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Excellent shots!
05-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Very nice shots. Our Herons are back in the area but I haven't been able to get close enough to get a shot yet. The ones around here are quite shy of people and most will fly off if you are even visible to them, often before I even spot them. I agree with your observations on getting pictures while they are feeding because that seems to be the only times I can get near them. The only way I can get close is by canoe or kayak.
05-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Excellent work Jim - I am envious of your location those are great photos.
05-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful shots. I have ~ 25 or so feeding shots of herons and was about to post a few, but the ones above with the beak thru the meal, make me think twice. Its not often they take such a big fish. I bet getting it down the gullet was an interesting feat....
05-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Awesome work Jim, you're really scoring with those herons.
Thank Gary. appreciate it bud. Hows the new classes going? Oh, that's right, they start in September. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Overall very good shots.

Hint:
A lot of the beauty of the big waders is how they use those long legs. The next time you are down in the bottoms lay aside the camera and pick up your binos for a bit. Watch how they move through the grass. It's like looking at a slow-motion ballet - very graceful. After this then try capturing some of that grace with a camera.
Yesterday 11:50 PM
I totally agree wildman! I havre 100's of Heron shots and watching them walk through eirther glass or water is like a dance alright. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Excellent shots!
Thank you Dmartin. JIMBO

QuoteQuote:
Very nice shots. Our Herons are back in the area but I haven't been able to get close enough to get a shot yet. The ones around here are quite shy of people and most will fly off if you are even visible to them, often before I even spot them. I agree with your observations on getting pictures while they are feeding because that seems to be the only times I can get near them. The only way I can get close is by canoe or kayak.
Thank you for your kind words. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Excellent work Jim - I am envious of your location those are great photos.

Thank you so much bud. It has been a couple of weeks since I spotted one. got to watch this one hunt for over a hour. He ate three fish this size. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Wonderful shots. I have ~ 25 or so feeding shots of herons and was about to post a few, but the ones above with the beak thru the meal, make me think twice. Its not often they take such a big fish. I bet getting it down the gullet was an interesting feat....
Thisa fish is a small one. I have a shot of a cat fish twice this size and it was swallowed whole like this one. Thank you for looking and commenting on my image. JIM
05-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If the eyes look out of focus to everyone else, then my eyes must be worse than I thought -- and I'm wearing my reading glasses as I look at these. They look good to me.