Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Does This Stride a Chord
Posted By: Sailor, 05-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Today, I grabbed this shot of late afternoon sunlight splayed on one of my fake books and a couple of prints draped on our acoustic piano. Does it strike a chord or am I off key?

Jer

Views: 1,550
05-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot Jer and it does strike a cord alright, we seem to have the same fake book. :-)
05-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it does. I do find the shadow on the music too pronounced though.
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nicely done but I have to agree with Ole on this my my friend. I love the shot but the shadow soes throw it off a bit. JIM

05-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent lighting there. Good image in deed.
05-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well Jer this one does nothing for me - perhaps I need another coffee but I got nothing for ya haha. It may be my musical talent ended in Grade 5 with the recorder haha. I love the Piano though one of our favorite spots in Vegas is a little dualing piano bar.
05-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

it's a good concept...flip over to "The Way We Were" and place a woman's wedding band in view on the piano, and now you've got touching photographic "gold".

i'm just playing' a little... but in this shot, i am also bothered by the heavy shadow on the music page as well as the comb binding of the book. i definitely like the idea, definitely.

05-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice shot Jer and it does strike a cord alright, we seem to have the same fake book. :-)
Thanks, Heinrich - the book happened to be open to an old DooWop tune - Tears on my Pillow; these things are pretty good jamming tunes since the there are plenty of chord changes but they're not too demanding.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well Jer this one does nothing for me - perhaps I need another coffee but I got nothing for ya haha. It may be my musical talent ended in Grade 5 with the recorder haha. I love the Piano though one of our favorite spots in Vegas is a little dualing piano bar.
What you need, buddy, is some "old time rock n' roll".

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Excellent lighting there. Good image in deed.
Thanks much, James.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Yes it does. I do find the shadow on the music too pronounced though.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Nicely done but I have to agree with Ole on this my my friend. I love the shot but the shadow soes throw it off a bit. JIM
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it's a good concept...flip over to "The Way We Were" and place a woman's wedding band in view on the piano, and now you've got touching photographic "gold".

i'm just playing' a little... but in this shot, i am also bothered by the heavy shadow on the music page as well as the comb binding of the book. i definitely like the idea, definitely.
Thanks guys for the excellent feedback. The irony is I was attracted to the scene precisely because of the shadow on the manuscript, which - for some reason - prompted memories of rehersals when I was a working tenor man. Your comments are terrific reminders that things like nostolgia may not translate to others.

Anyway, if the window design will allow a shadowless version, I'll give a try this PM.

Again, thanks for the great ideas.

Jer
05-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Chord Changes

Today, I took another whack at this shot with a different lens (DA 35) and at a slightly different time to avoid (as best I could) a shadow. I also flipped the pages and uncovered a remarkably appropriate title*. Can you dig this or should I go back to squirrels and birds?**

Jer

*I discovered, to my horror, that this is a tune by Lionel Richie; I've never heard it and don't want to.

**Dave (daacon), please don't respond; I can't deal with the rejection.