Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Does This Stride a Chord
Posted By: Sailor, 05-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Today, I grabbed this shot of late afternoon sunlight splayed on one of my fake books and a couple of prints draped on our acoustic piano. Does it strike a chord or am I off key?

Jer


Views: 1,167
05-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,215
Nice shot Jer and it does strike a cord alright, we seem to have the same fake book. :-)
05-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,111
Yes it does. I do find the shadow on the music too pronounced though.
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Jimbo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maple Ridge BC Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,363
Nicely done but I have to agree with Ole on this my my friend. I love the shot but the shadow soes throw it off a bit. JIM

05-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
Excellent lighting there. Good image in deed.
05-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Well Jer this one does nothing for me - perhaps I need another coffee but I got nothing for ya haha. It may be my musical talent ended in Grade 5 with the recorder haha. I love the Piano though one of our favorite spots in Vegas is a little dualing piano bar.
05-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,038
it's a good concept...flip over to "The Way We Were" and place a woman's wedding band in view on the piano, and now you've got touching photographic "gold".

i'm just playing' a little... but in this shot, i am also bothered by the heavy shadow on the music page as well as the comb binding of the book. i definitely like the idea, definitely.
05-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,205
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice shot Jer and it does strike a cord alright, we seem to have the same fake book. :-)
Thanks, Heinrich - the book happened to be open to an old DooWop tune - Tears on my Pillow; these things are pretty good jamming tunes since the there are plenty of chord changes but they're not too demanding.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well Jer this one does nothing for me - perhaps I need another coffee but I got nothing for ya haha. It may be my musical talent ended in Grade 5 with the recorder haha. I love the Piano though one of our favorite spots in Vegas is a little dualing piano bar.
What you need, buddy, is some "old time rock n' roll".

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Excellent lighting there. Good image in deed.
Thanks much, James.

Jer


Last edited by Sailor; 05-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,205
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Yes it does. I do find the shadow on the music too pronounced though.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Nicely done but I have to agree with Ole on this my my friend. I love the shot but the shadow soes throw it off a bit. JIM
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it's a good concept...flip over to "The Way We Were" and place a woman's wedding band in view on the piano, and now you've got touching photographic "gold".

i'm just playing' a little... but in this shot, i am also bothered by the heavy shadow on the music page as well as the comb binding of the book. i definitely like the idea, definitely.
Thanks guys for the excellent feedback. The irony is I was attracted to the scene precisely because of the shadow on the manuscript, which - for some reason - prompted memories of rehersals when I was a working tenor man. Your comments are terrific reminders that things like nostolgia may not translate to others.

Anyway, if the window design will allow a shadowless version, I'll give a try this PM.

Again, thanks for the great ideas.

Jer
05-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,205
Original Poster
Chord Changes

Today, I took another whack at this shot with a different lens (DA 35) and at a slightly different time to avoid (as best I could) a shadow. I also flipped the pages and uncovered a remarkably appropriate title*. Can you dig this or should I go back to squirrels and birds?**

Jer





*I discovered, to my horror, that this is a tune by Lionel Richie; I've never heard it and don't want to.

**Dave (daacon), please don't respond; I can't deal with the rejection.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, chord, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PTTL flash chord for the 360 FGZ tscip22 Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 10-13-2008 06:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top