Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
China - night shots
Posted By: knumbnutz, 05-14-2009, 03:06 AM

Hi All, just a few night shots from China.
All taken with the DA*16-50and straight from the camera.
Cheers Neil

Views: 1,632
05-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The first shot is thriving with detail.

These shots have to have come from Lijiang. I do wish i had a chance to shoot that place with my Pentax.

Neil, Are you happy with how the 16-50 is fairing?
05-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
The first shot is thriving with detail.

These shots have to have come from Lijiang. I do wish i had a chance to shoot that place with my Pentax.

Neil, Are you happy with how the 16-50 is fairing?
Happy.....you bet. It isnt perfect, well the 50-135 is though, but Back to the 16-50.
It IS a good lens, and for the range and Fstop i dont know what would be better, never heard much about the tamron or the sigma. I find it is good though and it almost never comes off the camera.
So i give it a thumbs up.
All my shots from China are with this lens.

The temple shots are from DaLi. LiJiang and DaLi have old towns and DaLi has a city gates and old wall still intact which are spectacular at night, like Xian and Beijing.
Cheers Neil
05-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great shots from a foreign land,interesting colours

cheers

05-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Cool. 16-50 & 50-135 is a very nice combination i'd like to be able to afford.

I don't remember Dali being so vibrant at night. Nor do i remember bars/restaurants by a river. The only photos i can vividly remember taking were those of marijuana plants, as they are EVERYWHERE!
05-15-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I light night photography don't get out often enough. Love the details and shapes , shadows and reflections in the series. Well done.
05-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave and Cupic.

Hi Carl,
The last two shots of the Gates are from DaLi, the first couple are from LiJiang. LiJiang had the water running through the streets in the old town with originates from Jade Dragon Mountain. Jade Dragon Mountain is the closest mountain to the equator that has snow all year round and is about 5600+meters at the peak with a 3200meter prominance
From the Black Dragon Pool

I never noticed the marijana around the place. Must be for the, what i call, Yunnan Cigarette.

Cheers Neil

Cool. 16-50 & 50-135 is a very nice combination i'd like to be able to afford.

I don't remember Dali being so vibrant at night. Nor do i remember bars/restaurants by a river. The only photos i can vividly remember taking were those of marijuana plants, as they are EVERYWHERE!

05-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
excellent framing and exposure. would certainly love to go there sometime!
05-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Actually, i think the Chinese blokes pretty much just smoke tobacco. I saw quite a few Chinese blokes smoking tobacco waterpipes/bongs in Dali. However, one of the bars i went to, i could not even play pool properly as there was a gigantic god damn marijuana plant usually getting in the way of my cue. It seemed the cops did not even care about it at all.. just cared about the noise.

Black Dragon Pool shot i am very jealous of. On the day i went i had to look at the photo in my China Lonely Planet to check i was in the right place. The day i went was sooo cloudy. Ripped off.
05-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great shots--the lighting, colors and exposure give boldness to the shots--very cool Neil.
05-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Black Dragon Pool shot i am very jealous of...The day i went was sooo cloudy. Ripped off.
Haha, same here, there was just one wall of cloud over the mountain in the background. Lovely shots Fractal, brings back good memories of a great place. When did you visit and whenabouts did you take your shots in Lijiang? The streets (from your Flickr shots as well) look relatively quiet compared to when I was there, when it was chockers.