Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A British Policeman and his MP5
Posted By: paulyrichard, 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM

I was around parliament today (16/05/09) in Westminster London, and I decided to ask a policeman at one of the gates if I could take a photograph of his gun.
He was very nice guy and said yes, of course. Well, I couldn't believe it!

I got down on one knee and took this shot of his MP5.

Married With An MP5

Last edited by paulyrichard; 05-15-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Views: 4,375
05-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To bad the workd has come to seeing guns like this out in public. Nice sapture though. JIM
05-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed the word "POW 4" penciled on the side - don't know what it means, really, but "pow" seems appropiate for this thing.

Great shot.

Jer
05-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #4

I bet loads of officers would refuse, which is a bit silly as there are plenty pictures of MP5's on the internet. I even use one myself (doing national service). Personally I think I would try upping the contrast a tiny bit.

Seems a bit strange to write POW4 on it when you can just use the serial number to identify it. All legally produced weapons have a unique serial number.

05-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

These things scared the hell out of me when I arrived in the country. In a week's time I'll be back somewhere where the police don't look like they're about to invade a country.
05-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it, nice shot. Good to see that he's exhibiting proper safety by keeping finger outside the trigger guard The "POW 4" could very well just be a label put on the weapons assigned to whatever unit he's in, we did similar things with the weapons owned by our squadron in the USAF in Korea. Much easier to keep track of at a glance than the serial numbers...

Wish I had a chance to try out an MP5, I've heard they are a lot of fun to shoot. They're sure out of my personal budget reach, though!

Jim
05-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I only intended this as a fun shot, but now I look at it more and more it appeals to me in a more documentative way.

The only guns i've fired on a range here in the UK are an IMI Desert Eagle and my friends Mini 14, and his Thompson Contender.

Anyway, appreciate you all lookin' and commentin' on the photo.

05-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

A good shot indeed. unfortunate commentary on our need for security here in the 21st century.
05-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am surprised at his cooperative manner. I am sure there are many that would have told you to "get well and truly *******"

Well taken shot, really like the B&W treatment of the subject.
05-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #10

The MP5 is quite an interesting weapon, although I much prefear the new MP7 if I was to be sent into actual urban combat. A few weeks ago I helped test out the MP5 vs MP7 on some old bodyarmor that was going into the bin. Our sargent thought it would be fun. I was quite shocked by how little power there is in this thing. None of the 5 bullets I fired were able to completely pierce the body armor at 30m. They certainly would have caused some damage, but not as much as one would think. The MP7 on the other hand went inn one side and out the other. Luckily though, I doubt I'll ever need to actually use a weapon for real. That's the advantage of national service in Norway. It's illegal to use national servicemen in real combat. You have to sign up for it, so there's no worries for when you get enlisted. We only have it so that we'll be able to respond quicker to an invasion.

Incidently, it's is illegal to own weapons such as the MP5 here in Norway, thank God. Any weapon that the goverment considers to be a weapon that doesn't serve a practicle purpose, such as hunting rifles, are illegal. That basicly means that all automatic weapons are out of bounds in this country.
05-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Nice shot Pauly.
05-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by alehel Quote
Incidently, it's is illegal to own weapons such as the MP5 here in Norway, thank God. Any weapon that the goverment considers to be a weapon that doesn't serve a practicle purpose, such as hunting rifles, are illegal. That basicly means that all automatic weapons are out of bounds in this country.

That's very sensible. Unfortunately here in the U.S. the deer have become very dangerous and run around in gangs. As a consequence, hunters feel the need to carry semi automatic weapons as protection.
05-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
gtk
Inactive Account

Reminds me of the song from a couple of years ago- "Cows with guns"
05-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Very accommodating for a police officer

cheers
05-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alehel Quote
The MP5 is quite an interesting weapon, although I much prefear the new MP7 if I was to be sent into actual urban combat. A few weeks ago I helped test out the MP5 vs MP7 on some old bodyarmor that was going into the bin. Our sargent thought it would be fun. I was quite shocked by how little power there is in this thing. None of the 5 bullets I fired were able to completely pierce the body armor at 30m. They certainly would have caused some damage, but not as much as one would think. The MP7 on the other hand went inn one side and out the other. Luckily though, I doubt I'll ever need to actually use a weapon for real.
Getting off-topic here, but the difference in penetration would have been due to the different rounds used. The MP5 is most commonly chambered in 9mm, which is more of a pistol round than anything, while the MP7 uses a 4.6mm round which was designed with amour penetration in mind.

Back on-topic, I think the B&W treatment works for this shot, though I'm not entirely convinced by the tight framing.