Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lovely Old Racing Car
Posted By: RichardS, 05-16-2009, 12:26 AM

This car lives about 5 minutes walk from me. It's an Aston Martin from about 1937. The owner says that it's still comfortable at 200km/h (on the track, of course) It's also used to do the shopping.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP0952_small.jpg
Views: 30907
Size:  135.8 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP0955_small.jpg
Views: 19088
Size:  113.2 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP0977_small.jpg
Views: 10303
Size:  116.6 KB

Apart from this car, he's restoring an old Singer and a Fiat Topolino.

Views: 23,502
05-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great to see.
05-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looking at the first two I thought, nice car but he should have gotten closer. Then came the 3rd, best one of the series by far. But maybe tad too close (if only the left wheel would be all in the image). But I still like that shot. Anyway, nice car...

BR
05-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting machine there Richard, lovely pics. I'm surprised he isn't using classic registration, but then that restricts him to club event only event usage versus every day usage.

05-16-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, Richard: cool pictures of a cool car. Were it mine, I'd be afraid to drive it on the street - it looks immaculate.

Jer
05-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulyrichard Quote
Great to see.
It's a beautiful thing. I love that it's being driven around like a daily driver. It sounds great. Very. very sexy exhaust sound

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
looking at the first two I thought, nice car but he should have gotten closer. Then came the 3rd, best one of the series by far. But maybe tad too close (if only the left wheel would be all in the image). But I still like that shot. Anyway, nice car...

BR
Thanks, axl. I definitely need help with composition. I wanted to show the whole car in the first two just because I think it looks so beautiful. I'm more of an engineer than an artist and my instinct is to look at how the complete object fits together to achieve a purpose. I have a lot to learn. When you say 'should have gotten closer', what would you recommend?

I understand about the left wheel. Aaaagh! Thanks for pointing it out. The owner has offered me a ride in the car, so there will be more opportunities.

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Interesting machine there Richard, lovely pics. I'm surprised he isn't using classic registration, but then that restricts him to club event only event usage versus every day usage.
Yeah. He drives it nearly every day. The white Honda in the background of #2 is his wife's daily driver. I've seen the AM parked in High Street, Ashburton while the owner was shopping and in Through Rd. Camberwell. Club registration is very restrictive. Insurance is also a problem. One of my friends has a Porsche 356 which he likes to drive as much as possible. Club reggo is out of the question, but limited insurance (named drivers and limited number of days) makes it viable from a cost point of view.

Name:  HK2006-12-30 001.jpg
Views: 5474
Size:  86.6 KB

Sorry, not a Pentax photo, but it's a lovely car
10-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Closed Account

Re: Lovely Old Racing Car

Hi all, I'm a new member and keen K10D user. Still relearning photography after years away from SLRs

Anyhow, this Aston is my father's car and it's now done over 13,000 miles.

Last edited by Adam; 10-22-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: link
10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

Panoramio - Photos of the World
10-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterK10D Quote
Hi all, I'm a new member and keen K10D user. Still relearning photography after years away from SLRs

I think you and Rich should get together then
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pics I love it when an owner actually uses an original to bring home the groceries.
10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice ride.

Tom g.
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Top top top car...and it's being USED...but it still looks to be in mint condition.....that 356SC (VERY rare) looks to be mint also.
I love my cars....haven't got anything as classic as those two, but my AMG C63 gets me where I'm going!
Cheers, Pickles.
10-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Closed Account

For those interested in the car's history here's a site I put together to look like an old magazine article. I'm not responsible for the photos!

Black Car 1
10-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterK10D Quote

Wow. Small world. I see your father every now and then when I walk up to the shops in Toorak Rd. (I live in one of the streets on the other side of Toorak Rd., the one opposite Beaurepaires). I think the last time I had a chat was about a year ago in the garden centre in Warrigal Rd near Harvey Normans and Officeworks. He had some nice things to say about my white 1989 Saab 900 Aero. He talked about a Fiat 124/128? that he'd recently done up for one of his children. I've been meaning to ask him where he had the paint job done. I presume it's the bright yellow Fiat. It looks really great.

Welcome to the forum. Please give your father my best wishes.

Richard.
10-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Top top top car...and it's being USED...but it still looks to be in mint condition.....that 356SC (VERY rare) looks to be mint also.
I love my cars....haven't got anything as classic as those two, but my AMG C63 gets me where I'm going!
Cheers, Pickles.
C63AMG has one of the most beautiful exhaust notes I've ever heard. There was an SL63AMG V12 bi turbo in the supermarket parking lot a few days ago. Very nice.

I haven't seen the Aston around the streets for a while. The owner has a big garage and some interesting old cars. The 356SC belongs to my mate, Horst. And, yes, it is immaculate. We've done a lot of sailing together in a catamaran class where you had to make some of your own fittings because the commercial stuff didn't hack it. There used to be an old guy, Clarrie Medhurst, who lived in the hills above McCrae who could make anything. Everything Horst made was immaculate. When we set up my last A-Class hulls and beams, he was excited by my technique for getting the beams' bearing surfaces correct to less than a 'tenth of a thou'. His 356SC reflects that.

But, about your C63AMG ... I drove some friends to my M-i-L's funeral at the end of August in my 9-3 Aero. Huskisson to some bush close to Nowra. A bit of winding country road. Tom asked me about fuel consumption. I told him that I got around 15 l/100km around town and close to 8 on a drive up the Hume. I asked him what he got. He said that he got 22 l/100km in his C63 AMG, but he'd changed it for an E350CDI that got around 6. He wasn't all that worried about the fuel consumption, but he found the suspension too hard.

Richard.