Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yes or No
Posted By: slowpez, 05-17-2009, 11:32 AM

I have been playing with B&W conversions again. Do either of these work?

Here is the original photo:

Channel Mixer method:

TriTone colors added:

C&C would be appreciated. Susan
Views: 2,260
05-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Susan, odd, I prefer the color one. The Other two look a little washed out IMO. Nice image BTW. JIM
05-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've gone back and looked at the channel mixer one as I've typed this, and it is growing on me, but I prefer the color.
05-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Colour version for me.

05-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have anything against B&W shots, however, I have never really felt they work with flower shots. Flower shots, in the main are about colour and formation and without the colour IMHO they lose most of their impact.
There are rare exceptions, of course.
05-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I too prefer the color shot. But, if you're really wanting the B&W have you tried doing a desat? Somewhere between -60 & -50 gives just a hint of color for the yellow, but kills the color in the outer flower.

Just a thought.
05-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Millionth Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the color photo is the best. A great photo
05-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I preferred the coloured version too. More pop

05-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

You know the thing to do is post only the photo YOU like. You will always get varying opinions. Some people plain don't like BW flora images of any kind, preferring colour. When I first tried this I liked the soft, almost decontrasted, appearance of the BW treatment. But the colour images show qualities the BW simply does not convey, including a colour contrast which only appears as grey tones, almost undifferentiated in the BW image. So each image should be treated individually. But the converse is true also, a high contrast foliage image is not likely to look good in colour. I opt for the colour version because of the reasons just stated.

A beautiful image, by the way!

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 05-17-2009 at 02:53 PM.
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Forum Member

OK, I prefer black and white, but the ideal shot (IMHO) is between the two you have - the whites of #2 with the blacks of #3. The textures and detail come to attention in the b&w, whereas they're less prominent due to the color in #1.

steve
05-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First things first, the image is just great.

I also prefer the Color shot but only because of the three choices presented.

Since this photo has such beautiful lines and flow I'm sure there are many B&W conversions that would work. Just keep playing with it.

In the end, the version that works is the version that evokes the mode you feel about the shot. B&W is artsy and with art what you indent is what counts.

be well,
joe
05-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

BW-photo's usually work best when the whole range from black to white is used. With your flower everything is either white or light-grey, which makes the picture a little flat and lacking contrast. Here all I did was increase the contrast on the first BW picture you posted (I hope you don't mind):

05-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. The color version is also my favorite but I have always felt that the magnolia should, somehow, make a nice B&W. Kevin, your explanation was a great help (BW-photo's usually work best when the whole range from black to white is used) and I love what you did with the contrast. Thanks so much. Susan
05-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
Forum Member

I like the color better of the first conversion, but I like the contrast of the second conversion. I think you could use the burn tool on the first conversion just a bit and get the contrast and keep the nice warmth that it has. Just my opinion, which is worth about what you are paying for it.
05-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Presto. I appreciate your suggestion and will continue to play around with it.
Susan