Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Which Crop; Which Treatment?
Posted By: metroeloise, 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Taking pictures in some of the worst lighting ever. Got extra close to the stage (right on the edge) And Had the Hanimar 135mm; 1/125 @ f/2.8, iso 1600. More will be posted.

These are two I am curious about what others think on the crop and treatment.

Contestant #1:



#2:


Looking to express the poised dynamics and intensity of the dancer.



Thanks.
Views: 1,416
05-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,055
I prefer the 1st one
05-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Damn Brit
Guest




I prefer the first one, it is compositionally better and a decent portrait.

I don't think either of them convey the suggestion that she is dancing.
05-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 958
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
I prefer the 1st one
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I prefer the first one, it is compositionally better and a decent portrait.

I don't think either of them convey the suggestion that she is dancing.
Thank you both...

What is it about the 1st? The crop? Treatment? I see them as dance perhaps because I know them as that. Good to be reminded others can't see what's not in the picture!

Thanks again.

05-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,201
The first one is - in my view - a knock out. The intensity is there and very clear(dancing wouldn't have occured to me, but frankly - I don't care). I would brighten the image just a bit (not much).

Wish I could do this well.

Jer
05-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Senior Member
mwcfire's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: OKC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 186
I prefer the coloring, softness, and highlights in the second shot.
05-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,637
FWIW, I did actually get "dancer" at first glance.

There's something about the "blown" highlights of #2 that I like. But overall I much prefer #1.

There is a sense of movement in #1 that is missing in #2 and I think the crop is what does it; #2 is too centered. The more subdued light in #1 also gives it a more dramatic, or theatrical, feel. And finally, the tighter crop of #1 pulls the viewer in to her face where you see the intensity you're wishing to depict.
05-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 958
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
The first one is - in my view - a knock out. The intensity is there and very clear(dancing wouldn't have occured to me, but frankly - I don't care). I would brighten the image just a bit (not much).

Wish I could do this well.

Jer
Wow! Thank you. Will bring this through Ps too. Was processing these and others while taking breaks from my remodeling. Will work the image a tad brighter.

QuoteOriginally posted by mwcfire Quote
I prefer the coloring, softness, and highlights in the second shot.
I so like this one for that. Thanks for sharing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
FWIW, I did actually get "dancer" at first glance.

There's something about the "blown" highlights of #2 that I like. But overall I much prefer #1.

There is a sense of movement in #1 that is missing in #2 and I think the crop is what does it; #2 is too centered. The more subdued light in #1 also gives it a more dramatic, or theatrical, feel. And finally, the tighter crop of #1 pulls the viewer in to her face where you see the intensity you're wishing to depict.
Funny about how people react to dance photos. They sometimes need symbolic-stylized components and blur; sometimes they don't. That's OK. I do both!

It is about the dynamics of drama, theater, passion. {}

I'll get opportunity to shot these two under studio lighting!

Thinking two soft boxes high and deep. hard light high and front some barndoored gel lights low across the floor from the sides and tight up and down. Like Columns of light they cross into. Maybe even make some tight snoots too. Want to use the gel to sculpt rather than harsh shadows.

Trying to think of the lighting more in the round. So it will be different as I round the area. They dance for about 5-15 minutes a round. maybe two or three rounds with enough rest to set up the lights differently. One round I want to pull way back and use a longer lens too.

Oh yeah... I'll try reversing the treatment to crop in these two and see what happens!

Thank to all for the comments and encouragement.

05-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Damn Brit
Guest




How much of the subject does the full frame show?

I think this particular image would look great showing more of her arm and body (which I'm assuming would make the fact that it was dance obvious) displayed together with the crop.
05-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 958
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
How much of the subject does the full frame show?

I think this particular image would look great showing more of her arm and body (which I'm assuming would make the fact that it was dance obvious) displayed together with the crop.
What Am I Still Doing Up?

Just had to refresh once more on the way to bed...

Gary, that is the full frame. Taken with K20D and the Hanimar 135mm f/2.8 @ 1/125 and 1600 iso. Lens is stuck wide open until I preform the surgery this weekend... Thanks... Now Sleep!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, crop, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cityscape Which photo is better? Same shot, different treatment hockmasm Photo Critique 8 10-26-2010 05:56 PM
Cityscape Helix Bridge with HDR treatment creampuff Post Your Photos! 12 05-25-2010 12:47 PM
Do you shoot and crop in camera or shoot loose and crop in photoshop? hockmasm Pentax DSLR Discussion 23 05-02-2010 06:10 PM
Difficult Run #1 given the Orton treatment MRRiley Post Your Photos! 3 11-14-2008 04:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top