Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Which Crop; Which Treatment?
Posted By: metroeloise, 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Taking pictures in some of the worst lighting ever. Got extra close to the stage (right on the edge) And Had the Hanimar 135mm; 1/125 @ f/2.8, iso 1600. More will be posted.

These are two I am curious about what others think on the crop and treatment.

Contestant #1:

#2:

Looking to express the poised dynamics and intensity of the dancer.

Thanks.
Views: 1,831
05-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the 1st one
05-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I prefer the first one, it is compositionally better and a decent portrait.

I don't think either of them convey the suggestion that she is dancing.
05-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
I prefer the 1st one
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I prefer the first one, it is compositionally better and a decent portrait.

I don't think either of them convey the suggestion that she is dancing.
Thank you both...

What is it about the 1st? The crop? Treatment? I see them as dance perhaps because I know them as that. Good to be reminded others can't see what's not in the picture!

Thanks again.

05-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first one is - in my view - a knock out. The intensity is there and very clear(dancing wouldn't have occured to me, but frankly - I don't care). I would brighten the image just a bit (not much).

Wish I could do this well.

Jer
05-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #6

I prefer the coloring, softness, and highlights in the second shot.
05-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FWIW, I did actually get "dancer" at first glance.

There's something about the "blown" highlights of #2 that I like. But overall I much prefer #1.

There is a sense of movement in #1 that is missing in #2 and I think the crop is what does it; #2 is too centered. The more subdued light in #1 also gives it a more dramatic, or theatrical, feel. And finally, the tighter crop of #1 pulls the viewer in to her face where you see the intensity you're wishing to depict.

05-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
The first one is - in my view - a knock out. The intensity is there and very clear(dancing wouldn't have occured to me, but frankly - I don't care). I would brighten the image just a bit (not much).

Wish I could do this well.

Jer
Wow! Thank you. Will bring this through Ps too. Was processing these and others while taking breaks from my remodeling. Will work the image a tad brighter.

QuoteOriginally posted by mwcfire Quote
I prefer the coloring, softness, and highlights in the second shot.
I so like this one for that. Thanks for sharing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
FWIW, I did actually get "dancer" at first glance.

There's something about the "blown" highlights of #2 that I like. But overall I much prefer #1.

There is a sense of movement in #1 that is missing in #2 and I think the crop is what does it; #2 is too centered. The more subdued light in #1 also gives it a more dramatic, or theatrical, feel. And finally, the tighter crop of #1 pulls the viewer in to her face where you see the intensity you're wishing to depict.
Funny about how people react to dance photos. They sometimes need symbolic-stylized components and blur; sometimes they don't. That's OK. I do both!

It is about the dynamics of drama, theater, passion. {}

I'll get opportunity to shot these two under studio lighting!

Thinking two soft boxes high and deep. hard light high and front some barndoored gel lights low across the floor from the sides and tight up and down. Like Columns of light they cross into. Maybe even make some tight snoots too. Want to use the gel to sculpt rather than harsh shadows.

Trying to think of the lighting more in the round. So it will be different as I round the area. They dance for about 5-15 minutes a round. maybe two or three rounds with enough rest to set up the lights differently. One round I want to pull way back and use a longer lens too.

Oh yeah... I'll try reversing the treatment to crop in these two and see what happens!

Thank to all for the comments and encouragement.
05-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Damn Brit

How much of the subject does the full frame show?

I think this particular image would look great showing more of her arm and body (which I'm assuming would make the fact that it was dance obvious) displayed together with the crop.
05-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
How much of the subject does the full frame show?

I think this particular image would look great showing more of her arm and body (which I'm assuming would make the fact that it was dance obvious) displayed together with the crop.
What Am I Still Doing Up?

Just had to refresh once more on the way to bed...

Gary, that is the full frame. Taken with K20D and the Hanimar 135mm f/2.8 @ 1/125 and 1600 iso. Lens is stuck wide open until I preform the surgery this weekend... Thanks... Now Sleep!