Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dancing On The Edge
Posted By: metroeloise, 05-17-2009, 06:03 PM

This is the type of dancing that I do. I am just learning it. It is a combination of Contact Improvisation, Jazz, Acrobatics and Gymnastics... It can get ultra fast and suddenly pause. Fun stuff.

I had my K20D with the Hanimar 135mm still stuck on f/2.8 (Will do the surgery soon... Payday is 20th ~buy tool) Also the K100DS with the Tammy 28-75mm. Both cameras were set to iso 1600.

The lighting was two white spots on stage right (one rear one middle aimed?) and then gelled spots all around. Yikes. Made for super hot on one side...

The K20D with Manual Focus is great. The K100DS AF's the Tammy just fine. Slow and slow to save.

They were moving fast. I didn't know they were going to preform. I wanted to watch. Really challenging to track or even find them in the view finder.

I worked the treatment to get the dynamics and intensity. Some in various B&W conversions and some in my first attempts at Cross Processing. How Do they work?

Thanks for viewing.
Views: 1,614
05-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Damn Brit

#1 is the best IMO, it conveys the sense of movement without being too blurred.
I also like the drama of #4 and #5 but they convey a sense of passion, not dance. I would crop away some of the RH side on #4 though.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 05-18-2009 at 10:27 AM.
05-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
#1 is the best IMO, it conveys the sense of movement without being too blurred.
I also like the drama of #4 and #5 but they convey a sense of passion, not dance. I would crop away some of the RH side on #4 though.
Thank you Gary. Always a welcomed insight.

Blurred. I have some on the site that is working more with the blur. Comes down to it in dance. Learning a language is what it feels like.

Passion. Very passionate dance. And Passion is a Dance.

I tried a few crops with #4. Went with this one because I was looking to see how the void would work in adding tension. One that is tighter in from the right as you suggest felt a bit crowded. Part of that is their height difference.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 05-18-2009 at 10:27 AM.
05-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Metro, I like #1 and #5.

Is #5 as full frame as it gets or is this a crop?

05-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulyrichard Quote
Metro, I like #1 and #5.

Is #5 as full frame as it gets or is this a crop?
Thank You.

#5 is full frame. Caught with my K20D and the Hanimar 135mm.

Will be shooting them soon in the space without audience, with my studio lighting and ability to use theirs too. Too be able to set up the lights and move around!

I work graveyard shift and my first day of the week is Sunday. Not like I can Sleep Sundays! Up for 26 hours now... now it is time for bed...
05-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too like 1 and 5. For 5 I would have loved to see the shape and line produced. For much of dance I belive movement can be infered in pictures by showing the lines and shapes created by the dancers.
05-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Thank you Gary. Always a welcomed insight.

Blurred. I have some on the site that is working more with the blur. Comes down to it in dance. Learning a language is what it feels like.

Passion. Very passionate dance. And Passion is a Dance.

I tried a few crops with #4. Went with this one because I was looking to see how the void would work in adding tension. One that is tighter in from the right as you suggest felt a bit crowded. Part of that is their height difference.

Thanks again.
Let me rephrase the blurred bit. The touch of blur in the hand and leg on the left hand side is all that's needed to convey the sense of moment and the sharpness on the main portion of the subjects adds the drama to complete the picture.

Regarding #4, I disagree on that crop being crowded. IMO the difference in height, the lighting and separation from the background convey a sense of space way beyond the boundaries of the frame no matter how tightly you crop it.
05-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let me rephrase the blurred bit. The touch of blur in the hand and leg on the left hand side is all that's needed to convey the sense of moment and the sharpness on the main portion of the subjects adds the drama to complete the picture.

Regarding #4, I disagree on that crop being crowded. IMO the difference in height, the lighting and separation from the background convey a sense of space way beyond the boundaries of the frame no matter how tightly you crop it.
"Let me sharpen up my comment on blur.."

I am punch drunk now!!! Why am I still up?

Thanks Gary. Yes I see that in the blur of the hand and read that in your comment too. Thanks. Worked out really well. It will be interesting learning to shoot them under studio flashes... To get the speed slow enough and the f-stop small enough (or not sometimes; love having two bodies!) will be playing with the blur... They are moving really spontaneously: sometimes really superfast; sometimes lingering. Might set up much constant lighting for part of the shoot.
Sleep Now! Will do the crop on #4 and post... I think you are correct. Thanks for the schooling.

05-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Damn Brit

"Let me sharpen up my comment on blur.."

I am punch drunk now!!! Why am I still up?

Thanks Gary. Yes I see that in the blur of the hand and read that in your comment too. Thanks. Worked out really well. It will be interesting learning to shoot them under studio flashes... To get the speed slow enough and the f-stop small enough (or not sometimes; love having two bodies!) will be playing with the blur... They are moving really spontaneously: sometimes really superfast; sometimes lingering. Might set up much constant lighting for part of the shoot.
Sleep Now! Will do the crop on #4 and post... I think you are correct. Thanks for the schooling.
No schooling mate, I just say what I see and if it helps, I'm glad.
05-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No schooling mate, I just say what I see and if it helps, I'm glad.
My turn to clear up the meaning.... Meant that as a compliment and with gratitude...

You help me, others on the site and my Roses too!
05-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Damn Brit

My turn to clear up the meaning.... Meant that as a compliment and with gratitude...

You help me, others on the site and my Roses too!
LOL go to sleep.