Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Few Landscapes from early this morning
Posted By: Jimbo, 05-18-2009, 03:42 PM

Got up a little early this morning to take a few shots. The weather was not the greatness. Here are few. JIM

Views: 3,539
05-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I had that to look at, I'd likely be up early everyday. Is the 2nd a crop of the 1st? I like the 1st, 'cept for that little stream right smack dab in the middle of everything. The reflections are wonderful. Nice little series.
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I think the first one is superb Jim.

Just for fun, try rotating it 90 degrees, it makes a very interesting abstract. Almost like a coloured inkblot.
05-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The first shot is awesome, the stream adds some foreground presence, the tree on the left frames the mountains in the distnace and there is ujust enough action in the sky to make a great reflection in the water, superb.

I much prefer landscape shots just before or after a rain storm, the clouds are so lively and you get a nice diffused cast as well.

05-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If I had that to look at, I'd likely be up early everyday. Is the 2nd a crop of the 1st? I like the 1st, 'cept for that little stream right smack dab in the middle of everything. The reflections are wonderful. Nice little series.
The second is not a crop. I moved further back and shot it at 16mm on that one and the second I shot from the waters edge at 24mm I believe. Personally I like the small stream. It is not the mean subject in the shot so I wasn't worried about it being in the middle. Thank you for looking and commenting. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I think the first one is superb Jim.

Just for fun, try rotating it 90 degrees, it makes a very interesting abstract. Almost like a coloured inkblot.
Today 03:52 PM
Thanks Gary. It was a bit of a challenge to get the right exposure. I had to play iwht levels in Photo Shop to bring out the water some. I will give that a try and dend you a copy on a PM. Cheers bud. JIM

QuoteQuote:
The first shot is awesome, the stream adds some foreground presence, the tree on the left frames the mountains in the distnace and there is ujust enough action in the sky to make a great reflection in the water, superb.

I much prefer landscape shots just before or after a rain storm, the clouds are so lively and you get a nice diffused cast as well.
Thank you Bud! I agree with you on shooting just before or after a rain. I do find exposure a little but of a trick. I took a number of shots to get this one. JIM
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Wow great pics.. and as much as I love where I live I am envious of your 'backyard'.
05-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Wow great pics.. and as much as I love where I live I am envious of your 'backyard'.
Dekka.. Appreciate you commenting. This is about one hour from where I live. Just went for a ride today to scout out new potential spots to return with different types of lighting conditions. This would be a great fall shot. I will return. JIM

05-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'll be the contrarian. I like the third one best. The clouds and lighting give that early morning mood to a tee.
05-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I'll be the contrarian. I like the third one best. The clouds and lighting give that early morning mood to a tee.
05-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
and
Veteran Member

very nice landscapes, like the first one, in the second one on my monitor the sky is a bit bright. love the color of the foilage. last one i think the horizon is not entierly straight?
05-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
very nice landscapes, like the first one, in the second one on my monitor the sky is a bit bright. love the color of the foilage. last one i think the horizon is not entierly straight?
05-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
small adjustment on the third one. JIM

05-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #13
JMR
Veteran Member

Well, I well be a little critical. I like the second composition, bold and simple in design, despite the sky having little interest in the clouds. I guess I don't agree with the others about the first image. The colours appear bolder and the sky has more interest and lines, but the composition strikes me as busy with the inclusion of the small stream and foreground. BTW, the horizon looks fine to me in the third shot. Sometimes in mountains scenes, the horizon only appears to look slanted and the only way to tell is with a level at the time.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 05-23-2009 at 02:13 PM.
05-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Well, I wll be a little critical. I like the second composition, bold and simple in design, despite the the sky having little interest in the clouds. I guess I don't agree with the others about the first image. The colours appear bolder and the sky has more interest and lines, but the composition strikes me as busy with the inclusion of the small stream and foreground. BTW, the horizon looks fine to me in the third shot. Sometimes in mountains scenes, the horizon only appears to look slanted and the only way to tell is with a level at the time.

JMR
Thanks JRM. Everyone definately has different tastes. Appreciate you feedback as always. JIM
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, thats right Jim... Make us all jealous of your neighborhood. I'd have to get up 4 days early to get to those kind of vistas.

Wonderful shots as usual. My fav is the first version of the 3rd photo.

Mike