Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Changing a Shot
Posted By: Jimbo, 05-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Ok, picture taken with same camera settings [ 200 ISO 16mm F13 @ 1/60. The big difference is the scond shot had a ND8 filter on. The PP work was very similar with really less adjustment on the ND8 filtered picture. The big difference is in the sky and mountains. I need to use this filter more and more on shots like this. Also shot hand held as I was a little to lazy to set the tri-pod up. Lots of potential for this filter set up. JIM

Views: 1,238
05-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second shot is very dramatic! Much preferable over the first!
05-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The second shot is very dramatic! Much preferable over the first!
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
very interesting... I've been using a graduated filter more often lately, but these were taken with a solid nd filter? hmmm... this has me wanting to try this a bit. Thanks for sharing. And great shot(s) by the way!

05-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang! I can't make up my mind, buddy. The second one definitely has more "punch" but is less subtle, maybe less natural than the first one. Frankly, both look spectacular to me, so I'm no help.

Jer
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Jim, that's a bloody fantastic image either way! Nice work... I think I prefer the second shot, but I agree it looks a little less natural (since it is)... Old school HDR technique. I've got one of those GND 8 filters, but need to experiment with it more (or sell it - you should keep yours though )

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
very interesting... I've been using a graduated filter more often lately, but these were taken with a solid nd filter? hmmm... this has me wanting to try this a bit. Thanks for sharing. And great shot(s) by the way!
I believe he used a graduated filter for this, but I'm sure he'll let us know for sure.
05-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Definitely the second shot having that clarity and sparkling feel to it all.
05-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I like both of these shots. Obviously the sky in the second shot is alot more menacing, which i am all for, but the reflection off the water of the sky in the first shot can't be beat.

Thanks for sharing.

05-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

This does show how a split neutral density filter works. But I think there is a misunderstanding on its effects, as the filter is neutral and in no way works like HDR, which often has obvious exaggerated effects. The said filter has long been a standard with professional landscape photographers. The colours are natural but darkened so as to bring light levels more in line with the foreground levels. Only cheap ND filters will impart colours. The best on the market are Sing rays, but they cost as much as a lens!

BTW, excellent landscape.

JMR
05-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

QuoteQuote:
Dang! I can't make up my mind, buddy. The second one definitely has more "punch" but is less subtle, maybe less natural than the first one. Frankly, both look spectacular to me, so I'm no help.

Jer
That's a great help Jer. The whole idea of doing a shot like this is to make it look as natural as possible with just suttle differences. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
Jim, that's a bloody fantastic image either way! Nice work... I think I prefer the second shot, but I agree it looks a little less natural (since it is)... Old school HDR technique. I've got one of those GND 8 filters, but need to experiment with it more (or sell it - you should keep yours though )

Originally Posted by vagrant10
I believe he used a graduated filter for this, but I'm sure he'll let us know for sure.
Not a solid ND filter. It was gradulated [GND 8]. I rarely use it but when I was trying to get the exposre correct, the foreground was too dark to match the sky or the sky was to blown when exposing the foreground correctly. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Definitely the second shot having that clarity and sparkling feel to it all.
Thanks James. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I like both of these shots. Obviously the sky in the second shot is alot more menacing, which i am all for, but the reflection off the water of the sky in the first shot can't be beat.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate the feedback. JIM

QuoteQuote:
This does show how a split neutral density filter works. But I think there is a misunderstanding on its effects, as the filter is neutral and in no way works like HDR, which often has obvious exaggerated effects. The said filter has long been a standard with professional landscape photographers. The colours are natural but darkened so as to bring light levels more in line with the foreground levels. Only cheap ND filters will impart colours. The best on the market are Sing rays, but they cost as much as a lens!

JMR
Thanks JMR. I had been doing so many birds and wildlife shots I thought I would change it up a bit. I use a Cokin filter [about 100.00 bucks] Cheers. JIM
05-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote

JMR
Well, JMR I think we had a misunderstanding (most likely the wrong terminology on my part)... I understand (one type of) HDR as shooting a bracketed series to get details in the highlights and shadows, and then combining portions of each frame into a whole which contains details from a wider dynamic range than the sensor is capable of capturing on it's own... Colors shouldn't be changed in this process, nor should the shot look exaggerated any more so than Jim's great shot does (I'm not refering to that tone-mapped (whatever that means) hyper-exaggerated stuff).

Here's an article on the Luminous Landscape site which directly address this process as another way to do what used to be done with GND filters.

Here's an example of three frames combined using enfuse, and while the colors are a bit saturated, that's from the "saturation" slider, not the frame combination process. Here's another, without any saturation enhancement.

Perhaps the term HDR isn't appropriate here, but it is a process to capture a larger dynamic range, so I dunno..
05-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ding, ding, ding...love the 2nd...I really need to invest in some hard and soft ND filters...
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
jeffkpotter

Excellent treatment Jimbo. I love it.