Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Foggy Avalanche (or Tidal Wave) 5 pics
Posted By: Damn Brit, 05-20-2009, 12:03 AM

The fog has been pretty spectacular lately, or I just hadn't noticed it so much before.

On this evening last week, it looked just like an avalanche (or tidal wave) in slow motion.
I used slightly different processing according to what I thought looked best for each individual shot.

As usual, bigger versions in the gallery look better;

Views: 3,433
05-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Whoaar.... The first shot did not do it justice as sky. It actually looks more like a violent, heaving ocean!

The second shot however, looks like the whole city is about to be covered in white fairy floss!

Cool shots Gary.
05-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The fog has been pretty spectacular lately, or I just hadn't noticed it so much before.

On this evening last week, it looked just like an avalanche (or tidal wave) in slow motion.
I used slightly different processing according to what I thought looked best for each individual shot.

As usual, bigger versions in the gallery look better;

Gary, these are both beautifull and interresting.

There are lots of waves going on in the air. Usually you don't see them, but at the interface between cloud/fog and clear air you can see them.

A fog like this is usually trapped below an inversion, where the air is stable stratified. When something starts a vertical motion up or down, it is resisted by the stability and a buoyancy force counteract the motion, it goes the other direction, and meet an oposite buoyancy force and voila, you have a wave motion. Rising air find itself surounded by warmer air which force it to sink again and vice verse.

The cause of the initial motion can be mountains/hills/coastslines causing lee waves or mountain waves. There is alos something called gravity waves, which are a bit trickier to explain.

Was the wave building up in amplitude until it broke? In that case, what you most likely had in this picture, as far as I can judge from a still picture serie, is a Kelvin Helmholtz wave. Buoyance place a role here also, but it is the shear between a faster flowing air layer against a slower flowing air layer (remember that it is stratified in an inversion) that builds up until it gets strong enough to cause turbulence despite the stability which cause the wave to break. It is in principle what you have when the wind force ocean water to form a wave that breaks (also that is stratified "fluids", air and water). One can quite often see K-H waves build up at the top of fogs or clouds and break.

Sorry for the lecture. Could not resist.

Now imagine how nice it will be to have the K-7 next time you see this and to go over into video mode...
05-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary, this are stunning photos of a majestic natural event!

05-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Cool shots, Gary. Looks like something out of a Stephen King novel...perhaps he'll use one of the pics for his next cover!!!
05-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In a way they don't look real, though I know they are. Its like someone just put them there for effect. Cheers JIM
05-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, Gary, this must've been quite a sight to behold! That fog wall is truly massive and magnificent! Great shots - thanks for sharing!

05-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Gary,

Great series my friend, isn't mother nature awesome?

Well captured.

Ray
05-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

great shots, Gary! I don't know what PP you did to bring out the texture of the fog, but it works!
05-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Damn, Brit, nice shots!

Jim (sorry, just couldn't resist... Oh Lordy, I'm weak when it comes to resisting temptation!)
05-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Very nicely made shots, Gary.
05-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spectacular series Gary!!!
05-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hahaha, the first picture had me thinking it was a wave. Then I thought, what the.. this can't be real, nice PP! And then I finally figured out it was just fog. Cool set.
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If I woke up and saw that in the morning, I may think its the end of the world, like in Independence Day.
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Whoaar.... The first shot did not do it justice as sky. It actually looks more like a violent, heaving ocean!

The second shot however, looks like the whole city is about to be covered in white fairy floss!

Cool shots Gary.
Thanks Carl

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Gary, these are both beautifull and interresting.

There are lots of waves going on in the air. Usually you don't see them, but at the interface between cloud/fog and clear air you can see them.

A fog like this is usually trapped below an inversion, where the air is stable stratified. When something starts a vertical motion up or down, it is resisted by the stability and a buoyancy force counteract the motion, it goes the other direction, and meet an oposite buoyancy force and voila, you have a wave motion. Rising air find itself surounded by warmer air which force it to sink again and vice verse.

The cause of the initial motion can be mountains/hills/coastslines causing lee waves or mountain waves. There is alos something called gravity waves, which are a bit trickier to explain.

Was the wave building up in amplitude until it broke? In that case, what you most likely had in this picture, as far as I can judge from a still picture serie, is a Kelvin Helmholtz wave. Buoyance place a role here also, but it is the shear between a faster flowing air layer against a slower flowing air layer (remember that it is stratified in an inversion) that builds up until it gets strong enough to cause turbulence despite the stability which cause the wave to break. It is in principle what you have when the wind force ocean water to form a wave that breaks (also that is stratified "fluids", air and water). One can quite often see K-H waves build up at the top of fogs or clouds and break.

Sorry for the lecture. Could not resist.

Now imagine how nice it will be to have the K-7 next time you see this and to go over into video mode...
Thanks for the meteorological lesson Douglas. Those peaks were just about where the Golden Gate Bridge is, maybe that had some influence on the upswelling. There's also Alcatraz and Angel Islands under there somewhere, they must also have some effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Gary, this are stunning photos of a majestic natural event!
Thank you Rense

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Cool shots, Gary. Looks like something out of a Stephen King novel...perhaps he'll use one of the pics for his next cover!!!
Thanks Daz, maybe Jeff Potter can use them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
In a way they don't look real, though I know they are. Its like someone just put them there for effect. Cheers JIM
Yeah I know what you mean Jim. Like I said, I don't recall seeing it like that before. Maybe I just hadn't noticed but I think maybe this has just been an exceptional year so far for the fog, pattern wise. This was another spectacular one I got last month;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/57605-fog-rolling-throug...-panorama.html

Last edited by Damn Brit; 05-20-2009 at 06:12 PM.
« Nicaragua | Salad »