Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
On the Boardwalk
Posted By: JMR, 05-23-2009, 03:53 PM

I know some people don't like this type of image, but I do, and I like this version, which evokes an other world quality. It is uncropped. Added a second image from High Park.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 06-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Views: 2,649
05-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like this style of image as well, JMR. Great shot. A very peaceful scene
05-24-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a lot I like about this shot, like the framing, the three elements of tree, lamp, tree in a line, and the pedestrian. Something about the post processing isn't quite working for me. I'm seeing a halo effect around the edges of things, don't know if that's what you wanted or a byproduct. I'm not saying that you should do anything differently, just that the halo isn't working for me. I'm still glad you posted it because it got me thinking!
05-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
I like this style of image as well, JMR. Great shot. A very peaceful scene
Thanks dazman.

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
There's a lot I like about this shot, like the framing, the three elements of tree, lamp, tree in a line, and the pedestrian. Something about the post processing isn't quite working for me. I'm seeing a halo effect around the edges of things, don't know if that's what you wanted or a byproduct. I'm not saying that you should do anything differently, just that the halo isn't working for me. I'm still glad you posted it because it got me thinking!
I accept your criticism, there may be a halo effect, which I sometimes see and sometimes don't. By and large, I don't like a halo effect, but on some images I don't find it detrimental. Perhaps for people images and up close, it would not be good. Essentially it is an Orton technique (gausian blur superimposed on regular image or double exposure) and I find some like it and some don't.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 05-25-2009 at 02:52 PM.
05-25-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just added image of phlox that escaped into the wild.

JMR
05-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the first shot is very appealing - converts a commonplace subject to something surreal. I didn't notice the halo until it was pointed out, but it doesn't bother me.

Jer
05-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think the first shot is very appealing - converts a commonplace subject to something surreal. I didn't notice the halo until it was pointed out, but it doesn't bother me.

Jer
Thanks, that's quite right. In the end, whether one converts to BW or Orton or anything else, the image has to look good, or why bother.

JMR

05-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
jeffkpotter

Don't know quite what to say. Your soft touch and enigmatic compositions are always intriguing to me.
05-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

JMR, that last shot I really like. The color works well for that type of flower. The first one look a bit like a water color print. JIM
05-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Damn Brit

JMR, I've read the comments about the first shot and I have to say, it does really make one think. It definitely has a surreal quality about it but at the same time it has a primitive cut and paste look about it as well. I'd say that it is a winner, any shot that makes one look, and try to analyse deserves to be on display somewhere.

I think the second one is just a little too subtle compared to other of your submissions, I keep looking for something that isn't there.

I like the dreamy feel of the third one, you should consider posting some images in this thread that Jeff started a while back; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/61487...us-images.html
05-26-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Don't know quite what to say. Your soft touch and enigmatic compositions are always intriguing to me.
Thanks Jeff, it's the unconcious finding its way into the concious.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
JMR, that last shot I really like. The color works well for that type of flower. The first one look a bit like a water color print. JIM
I came to that conclusion as well. Thanks Jim.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
JMR, I've read the comments about the first shot and I have to say, it does really make one think. It definitely has a surreal quality about it but at the same time it has a primitive cut and paste look about it as well. I'd say that it is a winner, any shot that makes one look, and try to analyse deserves to be on display somewhere.

I think the second one is just a little too subtle compared to other of your submissions, I keep looking for something that isn't there.

I like the dreamy feel of the third one, you should consider posting some images in this thread that Jeff started a while back; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/61487...us-images.html
Thanks Gary. The second image is slightly cropped but is untreated except for contrast and brightness. I believe I did post some on that thread but had to remove to make room to post new stuff.

JMR