Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 strobe - 1 model
Posted By: Gaetan, 05-23-2009, 05:10 PM

On my last photoshoot I wanted to do something different. I usually do my studio photoshoots with 2 to 3 strobes but not on my last shoot. I wanted to explore shadows so I shot with only 1 strobe (and used a reflector too!)

Here are my best 3 results:

Your comments are welcomed!
Views: 2,803
05-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Humm, I'm a bit on the fence here. The first shot is technically good in some ways but the shadow and pose make her look paper thin and the head looks like it's too long and narrow. She's very thin to begin with and this just adds to that.

The second shot suffers from this a bit as well and I would have liked a bit more detail on the shadow side. The left eye (her right) draws you in but it's a touch too dark.

The 3rd is very good, I like the light and direction. The pose is good. Nice shot.
05-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for giving me your input, it's well appreciated.
I might have another shoot next week, will work out at lighten up the shadow side. So basically, it's like if you find them to contrasted?
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool shots! Strobism is pretty fun, eh?

I've gone the opposite route. I usually have only one strobe on me and one model. I haven't really ventured into a two or three light setup (unless you count the sun as a strobe?...).

The one thing I find difficult with one-light source is the shadows. With one light, you get one bright side and one dark side if you hit a model at a certain angle. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't

Did you reflect on the side opposite of the strobe?

05-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

really liking the 3rd shot
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Hi,
I am agreeing with the others here, hte first shot has very extreme side lighting ie hardly any fill on the non lit side. Side lighting is used to slim faces, making people with very round faces look less round, in the first shot the model looks extremely thin, shadow subtracts.

actually in a weird kinda effect, the camera left side of the face looks like its smaller than the camera right side, looks very strange.

on the second shot the effect is not that severe, but it still could use more fill.

The last shot tho, is great, the light and style is fitting with the model and makes her look good. here the flash is not directly from the side but more from 45 degrees and it suits the models face so much more.

well nothing that hasnt been said. love seeing lit portraits so keep up the good work and share those shots.
05-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as above.
Great work - easily improved with reflector or fill flash in #1,2
#3 is stunning as is!

05-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Love the last two, she has very expressive face!
05-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Me too on the feedback. Particularly like the color of the 2nd.
05-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all for your great comments!
I have a nother similar shoot maybe this week, so I will apply some of the suggestions you guys have given me!

Again thanks!