Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Adelaide viewed through my new Sigma 10-20mm
Posted By: MoiVous, 05-25-2009, 07:15 AM

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and bought the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
At first I was a bit disappointed with lens sharpness - a lot of images looked soft - particularly at 10mm.

After some more reading and experimentation, I found the problem to be the AF. Turned it off, set the distance to 1m or more, & the aperture to f8 to f11 and it looked a lot better. I was very pleased with the colour too. This is an interesting lens, and overall I'm quite pleased.

The following series are a set of shots (largely at 10mm) in that journey around my home city of Adelaide. Its a long series, but click on each thumbnail image and tell me what you think....

Gum tree in the paddock in the rain.....

Adelaide Botanic Gardens - red hot pokers.....

Adelaide Bicentennial Conservatory....

Fallen red gum trunk in Adelaide Botanic Gardens.....

Mediterranean Garden water feature.....

University of South Australia's Bonython Hall entrance near sunset

South Australian Museum forecourt near sunsent

Austral Hotel on Rundle Street early morning....

Rundle Street, Adelaide early morning.....

Bonython Hall again - early morning.....

Pigs in Rundle Mall - not the swine flu variety!

Adelaide Arcade, Rundle Mall.....

Cheers
Views: 2,074
05-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #2

Some nice shots Chris - I have been thinking about getting this lens for a while - it looks like a fun lens to use.
Are there any other Pentaxians from Adelaide?
05-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MattC Quote
Some nice shots Chris - I have been thinking about getting this lens for a while - it looks like a fun lens to use.
Are there any other Pentaxians from Adelaide?
Thanks Matt! It is a fun lens to use but I think the the trick is learning how to use it well - and I'm still on that learning curve

WRT other Pentaxians from Adelaide, we do have a South Aussie Pentaxian Social group - join us!

Cheers
05-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Chris,
I wasn't aware of the SA Pentaxian group. Just joined (not that I can do much to contribute from KI).
Interesting you've just got into very wide angle, 'cos I've just bought a Sigma 15-30. They take a bit of taming, eh, but they do give the creative juices a stir - witness your stunning angled shot of the Bonython building. Rundle St looks as if it goes on forever and as for the pigs...Excellent work, mate. Let's see some more.
Les

05-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I haven't really got into wide angle - more like got back into wide angle (have a 24mm on my old 35mm camera that almost never left the camera).

Your right about taming the little blighters. Needs a different mindset! I was watching the Around the world in 80 gardens show with the family this evening and thinking how the cinematographer used very wide angle shots to enhance both the gardens and the architecture in the same frame. Inspiration for more work me thinks.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I really like that Bonython building shot and the pigs as well. One of the pleasant discoveries was the detail I found in the SA Museum shot in the foreground water reflections.

I particularly like the nice contrast I'm getting with the sky at present. Hope this weekend produces some more of this glorious light!

BTW, the SA Pentaxians (numbers are rising!) should meet again in June. I'm sure if you propose a date we'll try and fit in

Cheers