Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Aerialist Shot with studio flashes!
Posted By: metroeloise, 05-25-2009, 09:15 AM

Learned so much from this shoot. Will post a list of lessons later on...

This is the first one that I liked. Early in the session. Note the White Ceiling! And it took me a hundred shots to shut off their overhead lighting! Noticed how lighting has depth of field... She's so much closer to the ceiling than to the flashes that we have to set up different routines to get her closer to me, closer to the flashes, so I can overwhelm ambient and fade the ceiling away.

PP in Lr (Ps will help). Tammy 28-75mm, 63mm 1/45 @ f/13 iso 400 K20D.

Whew! Off to sleep...
Views: 1,379
05-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, surrealistic feeling.... nice! Very well done.

How did you get her in this position? Can you explain some more on the setup? Lights?

Thanks, Bert
05-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She's a High Flying Women

Lighting: 2 30 inch softboxes stacked on each other, 200w studio flashes. 1/3 around the circle I had a 40 inch umbrella with a 300w studio flash. 1/3 around from there a 150w gelled spot.

Positioning: She's doing acrobatics while gripping a "silk". That is looped through a steel rail some 30 feet overhead. She varied her routine from 25 feet (prepping for a 'drop') to about 10-15 feet where she did a variety of twists, flips and pulls.

This was a getting to know you session. First use of the studio gear and first time using it mobile. (troubles with getting the remote to work so I was tethered via a pc cord). Hadn't realized the effect of the white ceilings... (Think I have a good working solution for that) Nor the clutter on ground level (also have a solution for that).

Biggest thing was understanding that there are levels to her routine. Ambient was changing (Setting sun) and between the two (Changing levels and changing ambient) exposure was an extra challenge. (think I have a few way to work with that).

Had a ladder to get up (not so useful while tethered but once I figure out the remote that will be good) and have more possibilities for lighting set up to explore, including my own constant lighting I use for product shoots. Might even gaffer tape them or a light stand to the 15 foot ladder! Would like to have enough light to go slower too.

Next time I will take the "soft" off the softboxes. Going for more hard light. She's far enough away and there are enough all around that it won't get too hard (except when I want it to).

Also much learning post in understanding better placement, better anticipation of her moves. She is also more comfortable and that will help. You can see the progress through this shoot on that account. Stiff in the beginning and more at ease and playful toward the end.

Will post more as I get to them...

Just enjoying the view up the learning curve.

Thanks.