Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

B&W or Color
Posted By: Jimbo, 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM

I posted the color image earlier and its funny someone asked to see it in B&W which I had already converted. I changed the tones and shadows in the B&W over the color as the dark red threw off the barn in B&W. Color or B&W..?? I am leaning towards the B&W myself. JIM

Views: 3,662
05-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Jim, I find it too contrasty.

Here is my attempt, I really hope you didn't mind. If you do, i'll remove it.

I used a green, red and magenta filter to slightly tweak the tones of the foliage, and the highlightswere lightened. All done in Lightroom 2.3.

You have a great photo here.

05-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The color has much better contrast and depth. The B&W looks too flat from background to foreground. The color version adds dimension.

I vote color!
05-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the colour version more, because, as said, of the depth! Paul's version of the B&W is great, btw!
05-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, old buddy. I'm in the color camp, as well. I really love that picture and I think the color version has more of a 3-D look.

Jer

05-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
JMR
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Looks like i have missed this one.
I must say that color version works better for me. Somehow there's more depth between the house and the background than in the bw version.
Seems to be a really great place and you have captured it very well!
Im with Nitrok, there is greater depth and separation in the colour version which is almost lost in the BW. This is true of both the foreground and background, which, as one person observed, is like an image with layers. I would also suggest the BW loses much of its aesthetic 'spring-like' appeal, which begins with the foreground.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 05-30-2009 at 03:03 PM.
05-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #21
jeffkpotter

I like the color one way more than the black and white! The red seems too good to jetison. Not that the B&W doesn't have something.
Wonderful shot.
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both are winners, but the BW has an atmosphere to it I like. rustic, old fashioned

05-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm in the b&w camp, even if as said earlier some depth is lost. I really like Paul's conversion, with a darker house that is more separated from the background. The previous ones seem a bit too contrasty to my eyes.
Great shot anyway, even in color.
05-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I like the color one way more than the black and white! The red seems too good to jetison. Not that the B&W doesn't have something.
Wonderful shot.
Thanks Jeff. I too keep jumping back and fourth on which one to print. Maybe both. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Both are winners, but the BW has an atmosphere to it I like. rustic, old fashioned

Appreciate the feedback Scott. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
I'm in the b&w camp, even if as said earlier some depth is lost. I really like Paul's conversion, with a darker house that is more separated from the background. The previous ones seem a bit too contrasty to my eyes.
Great shot anyway, even in color.
Thanks for checking in and commenting. JIM
05-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, I find it too contrasty.

Here is my attempt, I really hope you didn't mind. If you do, i'll remove it.

I used a green, red and magenta filter to slightly tweak the tones of the foliage, and the highlightswere lightened. All done in Lightroom 2.3.

You have a great photo here.
For me this is all a learning experiance so suggestions are always welcome. I don't think you can please everyone all the time. I like some of your adjustments [trees] but find it took something away from the lightness of the grass. I may play around a bit more using your adjustment. Thanks JIM