Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&W or Color
Posted By: Jimbo, 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM

I posted the color image earlier and its funny someone asked to see it in B&W which I had already converted. I changed the tones and shadows in the B&W over the color as the dark red threw off the barn in B&W. Color or B&W..?? I am leaning towards the B&W myself. JIM

Views: 3,663
05-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like i have missed this one.
I must say that color version works better for me. Somehow there's more depth between the house and the background than in the bw version.
Seems to be a really great place and you have captured it very well!
05-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Id say color because the bw one looks like it had some PP that made the house and the trees look unnatural and over processed kind of how it looks when you run too much unsharpen mask on something.
05-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Looks like i have missed this one.
I must say that color version works better for me. Somehow there's more depth between the house and the background than in the bw version.
Seems to be a really great place and you have captured it very well!
Thanks Joni. I do like the color version but the B&W is growing on me. Always appreciate you checking in on my hobby! JIM

05-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Id say color because the bw one looks like it had some PP that made the house and the trees look unnatural and over processed kind of how it looks when you run too much unsharpen mask on something
appreciate the feedback. Will play around with the B&W a bit more to see what I can adjust. JIM
05-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
slightly different B&W version with a little less PP work. Time for bed! Cheers JIM

05-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jim, I like the B&W version better, and I must say the second version is even better than the first one. Great place, great job too!

05-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I also think the second BW is the best of the bunch.
05-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #9
Damn Brit

I'm in the B&W camp Jim. I think it is a much stronger image in B&W, it gives a timeless feel.
05-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I like black and white version better because the colour version seemed to have that desaturated look.
05-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I really like the B/W conversion in the first post. Undoubtedly I would take that over the colour one, and also over the second B/W version.
05-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I too like the B/W treatment,maybe leaning towards a mono conversion,great subjects you seem to find Jimbo

cheers
05-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am usually a fan of color but this scene works in BW so another vote is in.
05-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #14

I agree with the others, the second B&W shot is better. But, I still like the color version because of the landscape behind the barn, and the faded red color of the barn which is lost with the B&W. Both work well. Six one way, half dozen the other. ;-)
05-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, I like the B&W version better, and I must say the second version is even better than the first one. Great place, great job too!

QuoteQuote:
I also think the second BW is the best of the bunch.

Thank you for looking and commenting Kevin. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I'm in the B&W camp Jim. I think it is a much stronger image in B&W, it gives a timeless feel.
WOW.. B&W seems to be winning out. Thanks Gary. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I like black and white version better because the colour version seemed to have that desaturated look.
Thanks James, that that time of day. [mid day] where the sun is doing funnyt things. Could have pop the F stop down a bit too. JIM

QuoteQuote:
really like the B/W conversion in the first post. Undoubtedly I would take that over the colour one, and also over the second B/W version.
Appreciate the feedback Eric. Funny how each eye sees something a little different. My daughter picked the color as did my wife. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I too like the B/W treatment,maybe leaning towards a mono conversion,great subjects you seem to find Jimbo

cheers
Thanks Ivan. In this case I just turned down a road I had never been on before just to see what was there. Cheers mate. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I am usually a fan of color but this scene works in BW so another vote is in.
Thanks bud! alwyas appreciate you looking in and commenting Davey. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I agree with the others, the second B&W shot is better. But, I still like the color version because of the landscape behind the barn, and the faded red color of the barn which is lost with the B&W. Both work well. Six one way, half dozen the other. ;-)
Thank you 9thumbs [great tag] I keep going back and fourth. JIM