Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yesterday's Model Shoot
Posted By: maxwell1295, 05-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Had a late afternoon shoot with Isis (her real name) yesterday. Very pretty girl I met on Model Mayhem and made arrangements to hook with for a TFCD shoot.

Wifey accompanied my as an assistant and held the "lightstick" that I used for both fill and main light. There were either one or two strobes (Nikon SB-20) used in all of these images. I fired them remotely using the Paul C. Buff Cybersync transmitter/receivers.

Shot with K20D, DA*16-50, and DA*50-135

Views: 1,738
05-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A few lessons learned here...

1. Don't show up without a game plan: I had some ideas in my head, but it would've been easier to write down what I wanted to do or at least have some sample images handy.

2. Bring less crap: I had 4 flashes, 3-4 umbrellas, 3 lightstands, the "lightstick", and bag full of lenses (DA35, DA70, FA50, etc.). Total lenses used: Two.

3. Tell the model what to wear (or what not to wear): I did tell her not to wear a bright top since it would take attention away from the face, but I didn't expect her to wear that top!

4. Don't schedule a shoot when you have to edit the images in 2 days, especially when you're trying to launch a new website......I'm beat.

BTW, I started a thread about the new site here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/61997-website-...-feedback.html
05-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
A few lessons learned here...

1. Don't show up without a game plan: I had some ideas in my head, but it would've been easier to write down what I wanted to do or at least have some sample images handy.

2. Bring less crap: I had 4 flashes, 3-4 umbrellas, 3 lightstands, the "lightstick", and bag full of lenses (DA35, DA70, FA50, etc.). Total lenses used: Two.

3. Tell the model what to wear (or what not to wear): I did tell her not to wear a bright top since it would take attention away from the face, but I didn't expect her to wear that top!

4. Don't schedule a shoot when you have to edit the images in 2 days, especially when you're trying to launch a new website......I'm beat.

BTW, I started a thread about the new site here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/61997-website-...-feedback.html
Huge Yeah to all these points....

First the photos... Some I like. 1,3 & 8 stand out. Her face is the subject and it all comes together in these. The others come down to your 3rd point there. Wow the shirt becomes the subject...

Points you made.
1)This is hard but true. I went on a industrial shoot and was wandering around. Better to have a game plan. It can change but there is a fall back position.

2)This is touchy as the gear doesn't weigh much and is pretty easy to manage. Better prepared is what I think. When I look over the photos I see opportunities for gear I didn't use then.... Think I'll bring as much as is comfy.

3)Oh yeah and this is a great example of why. I ask that they bring a few changes too. Almost always somewhere they can change. And more makeup too. Well Blended is what I tell them...

4)Scheduling is an issue, no doubt.

Thanks for the share...

M~E
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #4

I was hooked until # 5, WOW that shirt takes way too much away from her. She is a very attractive girl too. The head shots are great though, especially the first one.

05-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

I like the style/pp in the first 3, they have a very cool style to them. The close head shots being better than the full figure ones, of the full figure ones Id say 9 is the best.
05-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

MM is a great site, isn't it?
06-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like 1 through 3 a lot. Very intimate and classy pictures that do really everything right. 4 Is still decent but the rest I don't like at all (especially compared with the first few). I had to look twice to see it was indeed the same girl.

On a side note, I really like your (new?) watermark. Very sober but distinct at the same time.

06-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4's great for me - love the gelled background flash.
Good idea for the seaside shots too - you did alright to balance flash with ambient light
1 and 2 have too harsh a light source for my liking.
But well done.
06-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done Alan #2 and #3 are my favorites. Nice tips. Totally agree on that shirt is a little over the top. Best of luck with well everything
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thans for the comments. I'm pretty much in agreement with everything posted here.

She got to see some of the prints last night and told me that #1, #3, and #9 are her faves from this group. I ended up with a total of 75 images and posted a mini-set that was representative of the larger set. I'll shoot with her again in the next month or so I'll be sure to include more detailed instructions regard the outfit.