Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Forgotten part of Zion
Posted By: SCGushue, 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM

After leaving Bryce Canyon, I retraced my path towards Cedar Breaks National Monument for my wife to get a glimps of this fairly spectacular hole in the ground. But it was snow pack and closed to the public.

So, I went south and paid a visit to Kolob Canyon, which I knew was best photographed in the evening. This is a pano that shows only a small bit of the escarpment that stretches for miles off to the northwest. I don't know why, but almost no one comes to this area for sightseeing or hiking. It offers great views and some very interesting trails.

This composite image is four images in portrait capture.

Stephen
Views: 3,236
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing. I was in Zion a few years back and wondered what was in that corner of the park. Your photo, while stunning, also illustrates a very rare natural phenomenon:

The amazing repeating cliff-face!

Name:  zion_repeat.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  68.6 KB

Steve

(Hope you do not mind...could not resist!)
06-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Opps! LOL
06-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for sharing. I was in Zion a few years back and wondered what was in that corner of the park. Your photo, while stunning, also illustrates a very rare natural phenomenon:

The amazing repeating cliff-face!

Attachment 36210

Steve

(Hope you do not mind...could not resist!)
Wow!. Too close to the action I guess. I never saw it coming.

Well, back to work on that now. Will repost sometime after dinner. DAMN!!! %@$#! software

Here is a fulll pano of the canyon without the ERROR. I guess I can see how the software made the error. Rockwall looks the same. I havn't done a thourough check of the pano so I hope it is accurate.
Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 06-01-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: new image
06-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Opps! LOL
Even though I never saw it, you have to admit it looked natural.

Stephen
06-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
jeffkpotter

Nice shot. Magic place. Look forward to the repost. I presume Kolob canyon is named after the planet Kolob.
06-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Repeating or not, I like the photo. I just finished a 16 day trip through Utah which started at Kolob Canyon. I was quite surprised when I went there at how quiet that area was. My wife and I saw a large tour bus of people at the visitor center there, so we were a bit worried but apparently the buses never went any further than that visitor center.

It was a fantastic area. I didn't get the fantastic sunset shots like you show as I saw there just after sunrise, but that was a beautiful time of day as well.

We missed out on Cedar Breaks as well, but from what I understand Bryce is a worthy replacement, and the rest of Utah was spectacular.

06-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Even though I never saw it, you have to admit it looked natural.

Stephen
Oh yeah... It does look natural. I didn't notice it until I saw Steve's post. Just gotta love software sometimes. LOL

Mike
06-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Oh yeah... It does look natural. I didn't notice it until I saw Steve's post. Just gotta love software sometimes. LOL

Mike
It is such a great stitch, it is a shame to fix it! My vote is to leave it be or move the old version to Gus' "https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/56336...otos-here.html" thread.

Steve
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is such a great stitch, it is a shame to fix it! My vote is to leave it be or move the old version to Gus' "https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/56336...otos-here.html" thread.

Steve
Steve,

You know... I have made several pano stiches from this area and I couldn't believe that I missed that error... the been there done that thingy sort experience.

I just posted a different pano taken a touch earlier in the afternoon and it is easy to see how the stitching was off... though it shouldn't have been... because the replacement area looks almost identical to the real thing.

Thanks for those eagle eyes. I am most happy you pointed it out because it is one of the few scenes I really love and was going to make a high end personal print and frame of it for my gallery. I'll rework those four images again for that particular image and see what happens this time around.

Stephen
06-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Steve,

You know... I have made several pano stiches from this area and I couldn't believe that I missed that error... the been there done that thingy sort experience.

I just posted a different pano taken a touch earlier in the afternoon and it is easy to see how the stitching was off... though it shouldn't have been... because the replacement area looks almost identical to the real thing.

Thanks for those eagle eyes. I am most happy you pointed it out because it is one of the few scenes I really love and was going to make a high end personal print and frame of it for my gallery. I'll rework those four images again for that particular image and see what happens this time around.

Stephen
What strikes me is how very natural the stitch looks! Talk about great software!

BTW...I really like both pictures. Great work!

Steve