Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I went to DC, NYC and Boston
Posted By: Quaffle, 04-24-2007, 10:08 PM

I picked up a DA50-200mm Pentax lens before i left and took a bunch of pictures. Since i periodically uploaded pictures to a friends laptop, i only have the last day of pictures on my computer as the others are still waiting for me to transport them to my computer. Here is one of my personal favorites from the Arlington National Cemetery:

Taken with the kit lens, at 55mm.

Tell me what you think! More will come soon as i receive pictures from the rest of the trip.
Views: 2,007
04-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I like the composition and the quality of bokeh. However, I would love to selectively brighten up the cherry which is a bit on the dark side.

Looking forward to the rest of the shots in your trip
04-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like the composition and the quality of bokeh. However, I would love to selectively brighten up the cherry which is a bit on the dark side.

Looking forward to the rest of the shots in your trip
I think maybe a fill flash would have brightened the cherry a bit. Is there any way to duplicate the fill flash effect with photoshop?
04-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quaffle Quote
I think maybe a fill flash would have brightened the cherry a bit. Is there any way to duplicate the fill flash effect with photoshop?
Yes, takes a bit of effort though.

There is this filter of lens flare which you can experiment after selecting out the cherry with magic wand.

Or you can just select the cherry part and image adjust with level or brightness instead (plus some gentle feathering +10 or so)

Another way of doing it is to do layer mask with a brighter image of the original. Erase the areas outside the cherry flower - then you get a nice image too.

OR HDR method some people preferred.

p.s. I disliked the idea of fill in flash for flowers as the colours seemed to be on cool side and unreal. Natural lighting are always better IMHO

04-27-2007, 08:36 AM   #5

Here's my attemp at it.. hope you don't mind. Just a little photoshop work. The contrast seem to give too much attention to the background and so I tried to bring the attention back to the flower =).

04-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyeros Quote
Here's my attemp at it.. hope you don't mind. Just a little photoshop work. The contrast seem to give too much attention to the background and so I tried to bring the attention back to the flower =).
It looks alot better to me. Thank yoU!