Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Druids cast their magic
Posted By: JMR, 06-02-2009, 05:31 PM

I guess when the light is right anything can look good, but trees have a particular majesty. Here are some which I tried to capture in the forest. No ortons, all in-camera techniques.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 06-10-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Views: 2,990
06-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first should be an album cover. Yeah I'm dating myself.

The second I love. Excellent.

The 3rd, not so much but interesting effect.
06-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really good work, I'm glad to see this here.
06-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The first should be an album cover. Yeah I'm dating myself.

The second I love. Excellent.

The 3rd, not so much but interesting effect.
Ah, thank you Peter. Two out of three isn't bad! I jsut adeed one which I had forgotten. And congrats on your published photos, which I just saw.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Really good work, I'm glad to see this here.
Thank you Nesster. Many people complain about the photoshop techniques, but I try to show, what I do most of the time, is almost the same as the old in-camera techniques with slide film.

JMR

06-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The 4th shot is the best of the bunch. What I love about your work is taking a simple subject and turning into an art piece. I love the look, colour and effect here. What makes the shot even better is the few splashes of colour with the yellow dandelions.
06-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

WOW

What Peter said... Huge...

great technique. The last one floored me.

Thanks for the share.

M~E
06-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

Very nice! The first two are very cool, they look similar to water colors. I've tried to do that before, always failed -- now you've got me thinking I should try again. That's done by tilting the camera, right? About how much tilt did you use, and how long an exposure?

I looked at the photos first, and I really thought the 4th was an Orton effect. Would you mind giving away to secret of how you did that in camera?

06-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice photos.
06-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
Damn Brit

Oooh! #1 and #3 hurt my eyes. I love 'em.
06-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

#1, 3 & 4 are great images/art.
06-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The 4th shot is the best of the bunch. What I love about your work is taking a simple subject and turning into an art piece. I love the look, colour and effect here. What makes the shot even better is the few splashes of colour with the yellow dandelions.
Thanks again Peter.

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
What Peter said... Huge...

great technique. The last one floored me.

Thanks for the share.

M~E
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by breischl Quote
Very nice! The first two are very cool, they look similar to water colors. I've tried to do that before, always failed -- now you've got me thinking I should try again. That's done by tilting the camera, right? About how much tilt did you use, and how long an exposure?

I looked at the photos first, and I really thought the 4th was an Orton effect. Would you mind giving away to secret of how you did that in camera?
Thanks for the comments. The first two are simple motion shots. You move the camera up or down during the exposure, in a straight vertical line. Thus you need about 1/15 of sec or less to perform this technique and get decent results. The faster you move the camera, the more streaky and abstract the result. Manual mode is best, but you can also use aperture or shutter priority.

As for the 4th image, that is a big secret! But seriously, it is an in-camera double exposure. One shot was focused on the foreground almost wide open. The second shot was focused on the tree wide open. These are in register, meaning you need a tripod.

JMR
06-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #12
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulyrichard Quote
Nice photos.
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Oooh! #1 and #3 hurt my eyes. I love 'em.
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
#1, 3 & 4 are great images/art.
Thanks guys for the comments. If they hurt your eyes Gary, how come you keep looking at them ;-)

JMR
06-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

They could all be Album covers ! Well done JMR and I am curious if you ever did rent 'What Dreams May Come" ?
06-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Oh man Dave there's a movie you either love or hate. Visually a great piece of work but the best part about the mess of a story, was that the movie ended. Just MHO
06-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Very interesting work JMR. Love the first and last ones. The first one should be hanging on my wall. Well done. JIM