Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Helping Friends out with Grad pictures
Posted By: Jimbo, 06-06-2009, 10:52 PM

I got a call yesterday to ask if I want come to a friends house and take pictures of their daughters Grad. I was a little worried as I rarely shoot people and I didn't want to screw up these. Here are a few examples of about `130 I took. [AV F 5.6 500-1000 ISO using the on board flash [-1.7 Flash compensation] I haven't shown the parents the picturs yet as they are still at the dry Grad with the daughter. CC is welcome. JIM

Views: 1,739
06-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You must have a good camera!

seriously they look pretty good. Lighting and color seem to be correct especially with on board flash. Usually for people subjects, they usually have a reflector of some sort but these pics don't need it.
06-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You must have a good camera!

seriously they look pretty good. Lighting and color seem to be correct especially with on board flash. Usually for people subjects, they usually have a reflector of some sort but these pics don't need it.
Appreciate you commenting. JIM
06-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

They look good to me Jim

About the dark green hedge. I noticed that some of their hair is almost blending in.
I have the same sort of thing happening with some of my photographs, and to avoid it I've discovered that just a little bit of Back Lighting will often help. Usually with the flash set to 1/8 power or less.
This of course takes some sort of remote flash to accomplish, however a cheap optical sensor is all you usually need.
I've usually had worst cases than yours, where the hair would completely blend in.

06-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
They look good to me Jim

About the dark green hedge. I noticed that some of their hair is almost blending in.
I have the same sort of thing happening with some of my photographs, and to avoid it I've discovered that just a little bit of Back Lighting will often help. Usually with the flash set to 1/8 power or less.
This of course takes some sort of remote flash to accomplish, however a cheap optical sensor is all you usually need.
I've usually had worst cases than yours, where the hair would completely blend in.
Appreciate the feedback. If I was getting in the business I would buy the correct lighting equipment but landscape and wildlife is what I really love to do and where my resoarses are going. Thank you for looking and it makes total sense. I find people one of the hardest to get right as the time is limited where with landscapes I have mayn chances at the shot right. JIM
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shots! The first one is very thoughtful.
Really like the range of colors the dresses provide in the fourth shot. (I'm wondering what it might look like if you twisted it clockwise a little, just to remove some of the dead space above the far left head?) Judging by the eye's of the girls in that shot, it looks like someone else was taking pictures at the same time. (Probably with a P+S, therefore you should let them see those picture first before blowing them away with these ones)
Nicely done. I'm sure the parents will be thrilled!
06-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These look good to me, Buddy. Portraits aren't my thing either, but looks like you know what you're doing.

Jer
06-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Really like the range of colors the dresses provide in the fourth shot. (I'm wondering what it might look like if you twisted it clockwise a little, just to remove some of the dead space above the far left head?) Judging by the eye's of the girls in that shot, it looks like someone else was taking pictures at the same time. (Probably with a P+S, therefore you should let them see those picture first before blowing them away with these ones)
Nicely done. I'm sure the parents will be thrilled!
Great advise and yes there were about 10 parents clicking away with their P&S's, so it was hard to get them all focusing on you at the same time. The girl in the first photo is the friends daughter who asked me to help out. As you can see in every shot she is in that she is looking at me. I have a few more of the group where I moved around a bit to try to get some of the background out. Another partent hired someone to come in to take shots so she was doing a lot of the directing of the kids. I was more dealed in on just a few people as instructed by my friend to do for them. Anyway, this is all new to me and I was really trying to get the images as sharp as possible. Used my Pentax 16-50 for all these shots. Thank you again for commenting. Just dropped the CD's off but of coarse all the kids are still sleeping. JIM

06-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Oh, I forgot to mention. The girl in the picture died about six months ago. The young lady in the photo [is who I was asked by our friends to take picutres of] was the girls best friend and is still dealing with the lost. She told me to hold and she ran into the house to get the picture. I knew the young lady who died too. We have watched many kids grow up in our neighbour for over 16 years and have lost a few. For all the wrong reasons. Thanks and again for noticing that in the picture. JIM
06-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Oh, I forgot to mention. The girl in the picture died about six months ago.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Oh, I forgot to mention. The girl in the picture died about six months ago. The young lady in the photo [is who I was asked by our friends to take picutres of] was the girls best friend and is still dealing with the lost.
That's tough Jim,
I hate seeing others grieving over loved ones.

We have watched many kids grow up in our neighbour for over 16 years and have lost a few. For all the wrong reasons.
JIM
Again, that's tough.
I honestly wouldn't want to raise a new family in your region. The Okanagan is bad enough these days.

My hat's off to every young person who makes it past that troubling age on their own... without getting in Too much trouble.
06-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
These look good to me, Buddy. Portraits aren't my thing either, but looks like you know what you're doing.

Jer
Thanks Jer. The weather helped as it was not to sunny. Did my daughters last year and did not get shots as good as these. Thanks again. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Again, that's tough.
I honestly wouldn't want to raise a new family in your region. The Okanagan is bad enough these days.

My hat's off to every young person who makes it past that troubling age on their own... without getting in Too much trouble.
We worry every day about our 18 year old though she is a great kid and we know all her friends. Damn, they almost live here which is fine with me. Thanks again, Right after this photo was taking our friends daughter had to go for a short cry. About 12 of them got together at grad and wrote a peom. Very touching. JIM
06-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot Jim they will be happy. As for teenagers and younf adults - those of us that have lived thorugh it or living through it , I don't think it is region specific. Each generation seems to have a few more temptations and as parents we worry but I agree with Stu kudos to those that make it , it ain't easy for them or the parents.
06-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Sparkling set Jimbo well done again

cheers
06-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great shot Jim they will be happy. As for teenagers and younf adults - those of us that have lived thorugh it or living through it , I don't think it is region specific. Each generation seems to have a few more temptations and as parents we worry but I agree with Stu kudos to those that make it , it ain't easy for them or the parents.

Thanks Dave. Appreciate you checking in, You and I have been luckier then some parents out there for sure! Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
Sparkling set Jimbo well done again

cheers
Thank you Ivan. JIM